Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,598   Online: 1102

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Images
    Good Morning, Gary,

Mostly it's a film loading issue; once the film is on a SS reel, it doesn't really matter what brand the reel is. I don't know if Hewes makes any tanks or not, but it doesn't matter because almost all standard SS reels can be used in a tank of any manufacturer. The obvious exception would be the larger SS reels made for 220 film.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I have difficulties in using the scissors in the changing bag too. I have to take care not to cut the bag tissue, which tends to fall over the hands, the inner bag is not visible so I'm not that comfortable, and I even find difficult to actually put the film inside the two blades.
    Now I use small scissors (the ones for nails) that give be better "control" over what am I cutting. I find it is also not such a bad idea to just tear the film with your hands (that wouldn't work with polyester film though).

Use a larger bag such as Photoflex Changing Room, platinum series.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Morning, Gary,

Mostly it's a film loading issue; once the film is on a SS reel,
    Konical
    Many thanks, Konical.

I've been using Paterson reels and tanks since Ansel was a boy and have a substantial stock of tanks and reels.

I have had occasional problems with loading, but always have an additional reel on hand for those events. If I get a reel that sticks regularly, I clean it with a toothbrush and paste to help the film glide through in future. I'll use scissors to chamfer the leading edge corners to stop them digging into the reel on it's way through, bit more difficult with 35mm. If it sticks at any point when loading, a sharp tap on the bench is usually enough. So there are occasional issues with Paterson tanks and if I were starting again I'd go SS. I would now if there was a processing benefit.

Gave up on changing bags years ago. Utter waste of time, IMO, for anything other than emergency us in the field. Clammy hands and arms quickly jam the reels and dust is an issue. The table top changing tents are a much better option, IMO.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Gary,

My comment above should have been more specific. I was referring only to SS tanks and reels. SS reels will certainly fit into Paterson tanks, but those tanks require the large center post to be light-tight. That post has a diameter which is too large for any SS reels I've ever seen. It is not, however, any problem to acquire SS tanks; they're easily available on the used market, usually at almost give-away prices. The ones with plastic lids (Kinderman is typical) are less likely to leak than those with SS lids. Replacement plastic lids are not hard to find either.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you want hewes reels for cheaper, keep an eye out on Ebay or here in the classifieds. You can get them for $8ish/reel. I use them with the generic plastic top steel tanks that Freestyle sells. They work fine. But in the big picture, $40 for two nice reels that will last a lifetime is a good purchase, especially if it prevents you from ruining film.

Plastic reels are fine too, I just found Hewes easier to load when I started, so I stuck with it. One thing I do to make my life easier with 35mm film is to use a film leader retriever. In daylight, I extract the leader of all my rolls and trim them straight with scissors. Then you can load it all into a bag or your dark room and finish the process in darkness. You can either load your reels directly from the film canister or pop them open and do it that way. But why try to make that first cut in darkness when you can do it in daylight?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I tried last night using my bedroom as a darkroom to try eliminating the changing bag. Blinds closed, the only other concession to "darkroom" was throwing a towel under the door to block out light from the kitchen. The film came out fine (to my untrained eye) despite a car driving past and blasting headlights through the cracks in the blinds. But, it did still take far too long to load 120 onto the paterson reels (estimate 10 min), with all the same loading difficulties as in the bag.

Conclusion: I'm replacing the paterson reels with AP or clones, as soon as I can find some. Anyone know how to get some to Aus without the $40 shipping?

Also, whilst the room was dark, it was light enough that about 5 min was required for eyes to adjust to the point I could see almost normally. Once my eyes adjusted I was freaking out that it was too bright for 400 film, turns out it was ok. Which raises the question, if it is light enough to see with some difficulty after 5 min adjustment, what films will be ruined? 400 is OK so I assume anything slower will also be fine, but I've got some Ilford 3200 I was planning to push a stop or two, will it be OK under those conditions?

Fun fact: the human eye responds to a single photon, and registers light as an image at about 4-5 photons per receptor cell. That's better than high-end astrophysics and photometry sensing gear. That's why I ask about films threshold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may think you didn't get fogging with ISO 400 film, but you can have fogging and it not be visible to cursory inspection. Until you do test strips to test it, you don't know.

ISO 3200 is three stops more sensitive. If (if) 10 minutes is the edge of fogging at ISO 400 in your conditions, then 600/8 = 75 seconds would be the edge of fogging with ISO 3200 film. Push it a stop or two and it will be 37 seconds or 17 seconds.

I think if you can "see almost normally", then it is much to bright to use for ISO 400, let alone 3200. I personally would not load ISO 25 under such conditions.
    Last edited by Monito; 06-06-2011 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Loading reels is like playing a musical instrument. If violinists can hit and control 1/16 notes in pitch and key without frets while bowing with it all in the air, then millions of photographers can load film using Paterson reels in changing bags. Oh, wait ... millions of photographers load film with Paterson reels in changing bags. But really, it is much easier than playing the violin.

Practice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But, it did still take far too long to load 120 onto the paterson reels (estimate 10 min), with all the same loading difficulties as in the bag.
    Practice and you will be able to do it in a minute or less.
    And try the piece of card trick I posted in an earlier post, it is cheaper than a wide flange reel and works just as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The movement under sheets and blankets can cause electo-static discharge which will leave artifacts on the latent image. This is not a good way to go. Get a changing bag or a changing room http://www.freestylephoto.biz/25001-...-Changing-Room from one of our sponsors, FreeStyle.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin