Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,289   Online: 921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Another bottle question

How do people recommend getting plastic bottles REALLY clean? I've recently bought a job lot of old darkroom stuff. The bottles look and smell (!) fine, but I'd like to be sure, especially before using them for developer.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are probably fine to be honest with you. If they smell fine, then you've got nothing to worry about. If you really want to get them clean though, I'd use some comet mixed with some water and just pour some in, put on the cap, and shake!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you! I guess Comet is a brand name for something in the USA. Is it a detergent or a bleach or something?

B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Comet is a brand of scouring powder sold in the U.S, the sort of stuff with bleach and fine abrasive for cleaning sinks.
    It would work, but dish soap and some scrubbing would work well too. I would avoid scouring powders myself out of concern that it could leave behind some residue.
    Last edited by bdial; 06-04-2011 at 06:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best thing I've found for cleaning bottles is denture cleaning tablets. Fill the bottle with cool water, drop two tabs in and leave over night. Dump and rinse, leaves the bottle minty fresh. I used to clean my slot processor with them, gets all the gunk out.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I emptied any crystal rattling around the bottom, rinsed the bottle with water a couple of times, put about 20% full and shook vigorously, put about 80% full and shook vigorously, rinsed again, and then filled with hot water 100% full and let stand for a few hours. Then rinsed and shook and rinsed and dried.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you! I guess Comet is a brand name for something in the USA. Is it a detergent or a bleach or something?
    Vim scouring powder is the equivalent in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a trick from my days as an analytical chemist. Wash the bottles with a little bit what you are going to store in them. After this the only contaminant in my developer bottle is developer; fixer in fixer, etc.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bottles for chemistry

Use beer bottles, the dark-brown kind with Crown caps.

Wash them in hot dishwater, which will also loosen the label, and invest in a capping machine at any home-brewing supply store. Fill to capacity with developer stock, a squirt of butane, and cap it.

If you then have a fridge for your darkroom, the mix should last awhile, and most beer bottles nowadays are screw-top, so you can re-cap the bottle after use. Just add a squirt of butane each time. It takes a lot to contaminate glass, residue can be scrubbed out with birdshot, the bottle can be recycled if it gets too grungy, and it's easy to find replacements.

It's just a matter of finding something to do with the original contents.
    Last edited by barzune; 06-05-2011 at 06:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use standard PET plastic bottles for developer, both Film & Paper

The sort of things Coke, Mineral Water and Flavored Waters come in.

Most even come with a nice molded seal in the cap

I pre-fill bottles with inert gas from Tetenal Protectan (Silverprint & Ag Photographic sell it) before decanting the developer into the bottle

I use 0.5L Bottles, as it is the volume of Dev I often use

ID11 & Ilford Multigrade Dev both last a long time in the PET Bottles

I find it preferable to use Plastic Bottles over Glass ones, its not unknown that I accidentally drop one, now and again

YMMV

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin