Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 736

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    You might try some moving companies. If they have a load going that way, sometimes you can get a deal.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might look into greyhound or a trans national bus line
    they will ship things in the bus' belly for not to much
    and as long as the person being shipped to
    lives near a busy depot / stop and can pick-up
    there isn't a problem ...

good luck !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Austin, It's a Durst G139, a version of the L184 with a 138S head.

Thanks Vinny, Ed and John for the suggestions. I'm really on the fence whether I should bite the bullet and pay the freight cost - after all it is a Durst G139. Though, spending all that money on item I have not seen and potentially paying more for whatever accessories that are not included makes me cringe.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might try several other less-than-truckload freight cariers in addition to YRC. You could try Con-Way and ABF. UPS Freight is the former Overnite Transportation, and FedEx Freight owns the former American Freightways. Those are all nationwide carriers. There are many regional carriers that could do it as well, but they would be interlining with another carrier. All freight carriers have over inflated rates, and all will offer some sort of discount off those rates, so be sure to inquire.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Randy, I ran into that situation when I was looking for a NuArc unit. There were some very reasonable ones out there but they were about a thousand dollars away. I finally got one from the City of Industry there in CA. It was a compromise on price and shipping. They did some searching for me and finally settled on UPS Freight and waved the crating along with wrapping it up for transport.

Think of it this way, your enlarger is $1000.00 and shipping is $300.00. That's one heck of a buy for a Durst, I've got one and they are something to behold. You won't be sorry, see what the list is on that model, that's an eye opener.

Best,
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Curt. I suppose that's one way of looking at it - I like the way you think.
    It was a "stealth acquisition" so the missus has no clue 'til it arrives, same with my NuArc. Maybe she'll buy the idea that the shipping was $300 and the enlarger is $1,000.

Dave, thanks for the other options - I will inquire with all the recommended outfits tomorrow, I definitely look into all of them. The seller will put it on a palette wrapped in plastic.

Thanks everyone.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another hobby of mine is pinball machines, and those have a similar weight-to-value problem when shipping long distances. Two frequent cost-effective shippers used in that world are Forward Air (has to be dropped off and picked up at a FA terminal, which is usually near an airport) and North American Van Lines (who will pick up and drop off.) Might give each of them a call. A lot of it is going to depend on how much effort your seller is willing to put forth in terms of boxing/wrapping, hauling to a shipper, etc.

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Duncan. I'll put North American Van Lines on the list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin