Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,488   Online: 921

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    The general working principle of this machine seems to be, from the picture, like the one of the CPP-2 and similar processors. There are two basins with water. The lower basin keeps the chemical at the right temperature. The upper basin keeps the tank at the right temperature. A water heater coupled to a thermostat keeps the water, and therefore all the "system", at a certain temperature.

From what I see this should work like a Jobo processor without "lift". The tank is coupled to the processor via a magnet. The operator must manually detach the tank from the processor (winning the small resistance opposed by the magnet), open the lid, empty the tank, fill the tank, close the lid, couple again the tank with the processor, "countdown" the process time etc.

In a Jobo CPP-2 (the best in this kind of technology) there is a pump which circulates the water between the upper and lower basin, and a water heater which is controlled by a thermostat with a digital display, the temperature can be set every 0.1 °C and it generally oscillates for a few tenths of seconds some 0.3 or 0.4 °C on both sides of the desired temperature (total temperature excursion measured by the machine reaches 0.6 or 0.8 °C at most). This is the temperature at the thermostat. I suppose the temperature excursion on the whole mass of the processor, and on the chemicals inside the plastic bottles, is much more contained.

What makes the difference in these kind of processors is:

- how much torque the motor has, and which is the maximum size of a compatible tank;
    - how precise is the thermostatic regulation;
    - how many slots for water and chemicals do you have.

I wouldn't worry about the number of slots, for E-6 the only critical temperature is the one of the first development. You can keep all other baths warm within a certain temperature range (33 - 39 °C) so no problem there.

As far as the first two points are concerned, you should seek information about this machine to see if it can satisfy your needs.

Other processors, like the Jobo ATL series or another called Phototherm IIRC, can operate all the chemical and water changes automatically. I use a Jobo CPP-2 and I find that I don't need a more automated processor as I would execute one batch per day, maximum two per day. A complete E-6 process lasts for around 40 minutes of which only the first 7:30 (first development) are critical. During the rest of the time you can operate "loosely": you can answer a phone call, or going to the bathroom, or clean your kitchen...
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Dawid

Just out of curiosity, whereabouts is this machine and what price (ek is te lui om die prys in Rand om te skakel!) & where did you get to know of this (junkmail?), seeing as I haven't seen this one.

groete
    Ricus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since LF sheet processing matters to you, find out if you can use a 3010 tank with this processor. I don't think you can, and I think you should hold out for a processor that supports the 30xx Expert tanks since everyone seems to agree that all of the other Jobo options for 4x5 produce visibly less even development. At a minimum, find out whether the tanks can take 2509 reels and what reels are included with the processor.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all for the informative replies - it has been extremely helpful. The seller is not very knowledgeable, but I will try and find out if it supports the Jobo Expert 3xxx drums. If not, I will hold out for one that does (e.g. CPP-2).

On another note, on German eBay, I saw one of the machines I am interested in sell for about $60! (so they are available for really cheap now and then...)

Ricus, this was in the local Junkmail newspaper, yes. The price would be around ZAR 1000.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Since LF sheet processing matters to you, find out if you can use a 3010 tank with this processor. I don't think you can, and I think you should hold out for a processor that supports the 30xx Expert tanks since everyone seems to agree that all of the other Jobo options for 4x5 produce visibly less even development. At a minimum, find out whether the tanks can take 2509 reels and what reels are included with the processor.
    +1

I perfer the 3010 Expert Drum to the 2509 reels for 4"x5".

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Not that long ago, Jobo had an excellent site that had information about all their darkroom equipment, after they stopped making said equipment. It also had FAQs, tips & answered questions, IIRC, I think it was based in Ann Arbor, Mi. From all my searches, I have not been able to find hide nor hair of it. What happens to closed sites? Do all those electrons just go bouncing along into the either? Does the Library of Congress, or some similar origination save them for the historical record as books & other artifacts have been retained. Or has someone w/ an interest in the photo darkroom saved the site. If I had known before hand that it was going to close, I would have saved it on my hard drive. It was really a wonderful site.
    The question is: Is there anyway to obtain all the data contained on that site. That site would have answered many if not all the questions posed here.
    Thanks JD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Drew View Post
    What happens to closed sites? Do all those electrons just go bouncing along into the either? Does the Library of Congress, or some similar origination save them for the historical record as books & other artifacts have been retained. Or has someone w/ an interest in the photo darkroom saved the site. If I had known before hand that it was going to close, I would have saved it on my hard drive. It was really a wonderful site.
    The question is: Is there anyway to obtain all the data contained on that site. That site would have answered many if not all the questions posed here.
    Thanks JD
    archive.org's Wayback Machine (http://wayback.archive.org/web/) indexes and stores most of the web, and enables you to browse past versions of websites (similar to the library of congress, yes :-) - but it is very difficult to find sites that you do not know the URL for. Can you remember the base URL?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found some old service bulletins and users manuals here:

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_ana...log/index.html

I don't see anything about the 4111 though.

The Jobo USA site was http://www.jobo-usa.com/ but it is down. There was an analog section where all the goodies were. One URL I have recoreded was http://www.jobo-usa.com/toc-search.htm, so you might try that in the wayback machine.

The omegabrandess.com site may have some info as they took over as distributor of Jobo products in the US. I haven't looked.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin