Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,400   Online: 1012

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Zone VI 5x7 Type 2 Enlarger questions

I may be getting a Zone VI type 2 enlarger (type 2 is the one with two posts sticking out of the head, right). My intention would be to use it exclusively for 6x17 enlarging.

Does this head have adjustments for contrast grade? The compensating timer is included, but I don't see any way to change the contrast grades.

Is there a power supply to worry about? I assume that is handled either in the head or in the timer.

Replacement bulbs - are they available anywhere?

This has the 44" column - what would the maximum print size be from a 6x17 negative? And since this is likely a factor of the enlarging lens, what lens would you use?

Is that enough questions for now? I guess so.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe that the diagonal of the image rectangle of the 6 x 17cm format is 179mm.

If so, then a 150/5.6 EL Nikkor or the newer 150/5.6A EL Nikkor should work.

Here’s the coverage data in my EL Nikkor brochures.

The original 150/5.6 lists a maximum coverage circle of 190mmφ.

The 150/5.6A list maximum coverage circle of 180mmφ.

Other lens makes should be similar, but might have slightly different projection angles.

If you can provide the maximum negative-to-print distance and the dimensions of the window opening in the carrier (or mask), then the magnification and largest print that will fit into the projection can be calculated. Don't forget to provide for the height of the easel.

Knowing the column length alone isn’t sufficient to determine maximum print size.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting - do you think a componon-s 150mm would cover?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Possibly the 150/5.6 Componon-S will work, but the Schneider data that I have only shows “maximum negative size 90mm x 120mm”.

That doesn’t address the question of the maximum diameter circle covered which is surely greater than the 150mm diagonal of a 90mm x 120mm rectangle.

You could try it by mounting the lens on an enlarger of sufficient size and place a an object of 179mm in length onto the glass carrier and see if you can project a sharp image of the entire object centered under the lens.

If you don’t have a glass carrier for your big enlarger, you could temporarily place the object on a glass plate and use it as a temporary negative to test the lens’s ability to project the image of the entire length of the object.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Call Calumet in Chicago to see if they still have bulbs. It was my understanding to get them, you need to send the head to them and have them install them.

Cheers,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Does this head have adjustments for contrast grade?
    If it's a VC head, then yes (blue and green tubes).

The compensating timer is included, but I don't see any way to change the contrast grades.
    It uses a Variable Contrast Contoller unit with the VC head, by which the intensity overall and separate blue (hard) and green (soft) tubes are adjusted by rheostat.

Is there a power supply to worry about? I assume that is handled either in the head or in the timer.
    Head.

Good question.

This has the 44" column - what would the maximum print size be from a 6x17 negative? And since this is likely a factor of the enlarging lens, what lens would you use?
    Probably 24" longest side, projected to its base. I use 180mm for 5x7. 150 might work on 17cm.

I this enough answers, for now?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may be getting a Zone VI type 2 enlarger (type 2 is the one with two posts sticking out of the head, right). My intention would be to use it exclusively for 6x17 enlarging.

Does this head have adjustments for contrast grade? The compensating timer is included, but I don't see any way to change the contrast grades.

I thought you were done getting more enlargers. If that is not the case then you need this . (link points to a DeVere Horizontal with goodies for very a reasonable price) http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=76818

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I thought you were done getting more enlargers. If that is not the case then you need this . (link points to a DeVere Horizontal with goodies for very a reasonable price) http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=76818
    You can never have too many enlargers! We need something bigger than 8x10 though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin