Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,204   Online: 993

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

New 'Dry' Darkroom, materials ideas

... and no. This does not have to do with being or not being an alcoholic.

Well, with my new found space in the bedroom upstairs, I am going to be creating a darkroom in the coming weeks and this is looking like it might be easier than I had previously expected. I am writing here for input.

Here is the layout.

Bedroom is 12'x12'. One wall has two windows facing the front of the house. On the opposite wall to the right is the door entering from the hallway. On the wall to the right, there is a door leading from this bedroom and opens into the upstairs bath. On this same wall up by the window is a door that opens into a walkin closet. This closet is 54" from front to back and 100" long running between the bath and the front of the house. It has one window on the same wall as the two in the bedroom. All floors are carpeted. There is no running water in the intended working area. That's the nickel tour.

The closet is easy. I can blackout the window easy enough. I plan on placing the enlargers on the facing short wall opposite the door (the Beseler 57MT alongside the Fujimoto Lucky 60M for smaller formats). There is plenty of space alongside one wall for floor to ceiling shelving. There is power and light in this closet.

I was planning on partitioning off an 8x4 portion of the bedroom in a removeable fashion (I rent). But it was brought up that all I need to do is to blackout two windows, lock the door to the hallway and run blackout trim around it. And then I would blackout the door to the bathroom, just to safeguard against accidental opening. Now I do not need to have a MUCH abbreviated living space. The space along the wall on the right between the two doors if 62" in length, plenty of space to erect shelving/counter. This is where my wet will take place. Film processing and print processing. I plan on using a slop bucket and discard that. I will do rinsing/hanging/drying in the upstairs bath.

Now, I just need some ideas to capture spillage/sloppage. I plan on putting some sort of material over the floor so that prevents staining on the carpet. I was thinking line the walls behind the counter with something that would prevent stains on the walls. Maybe even one continuous piece of something that runs down the wall and across the floor about four feet or so so that if anything runs down the wall it stays on this material.

Now. Before I was overthinking this. Have I gone to underthinking this or is this in line with the KISS way of doing things. Opinions are welcome.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The splash guard on the wall can be plastic (doesn't have to be stainless steel). Under your feet will probably feel weird to be plastic, and besides your socks would get wet. But you could make a plastic sheeting lined basin and have something like a few 2x4's or a very short bench above the basin as a runway.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another thunk hit me a short while ago. You don't need running water to have a sink. Why not get a sink to hold any slight sloshing? I can have a 5 gal pail under the basin to catch the small amount of runoff. Easy to clean. Just need to find one to size. This is kinda coming together.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What size print do you make? I have a giant tupper ware kind of thing (a giant tub) on my table. This "thing" was originally made to store "stuff" under beds. It has 4 wheels.

When I print 8x10, I put my trays there and move the whole thing right and left to agitate. If anything spills, everything is contained in this "tub"
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Good idea. I figure my biggest is going to be 11x14. It's 8x10 now but I want a little room to grow.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    DE Darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want something really cheap and cheerful to hold the trays, look at under bed storage boxes . One should be fine for three 8x10 trays, or two 11x14. Here is an example:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...en=25226601200

Edit: oops, - well at least I supplied a link
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Set your wet side up on what I believe is called a 'drain table.' Stainless steel, about two feet by five, six or eight feet. They have a one inch lip and are sloped to the center, where there is a drain. You might be able to find one at a scrap metal place, or if anyone in your area deals in used kitchen, restaurant equipment.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin