Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,130   Online: 812

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Where can I buy Darkroom stuff (chems,tanks,reels,etc.)? (must not be online)

Hi, I am living in San Diego, CA, and I would like to know where can I buy dev stuff here? This is my first time to develop so I am looking for chems,tanks and reels, changing bag (anything else I forgot?). I cannot buy online as of the moment. Thanks. (for B&W film)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know your situation so here's just a suggestion.

You can buy them cheaply or for almost nothing right here on APUG. (does that constitute "online"?) Tanks and reels are available for few dollars. You really don't need changing bags. You can simply turn off all the lights in your house and go into a master closet if you got one. Hopefully, someone here can help you with a local source for chemistry.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    try checking on your craigslist postings in your area as well as garage sales on the weekends. Right about now many people have already been through spring cleaning, but many students in university are finishing or ending classes. they will most likely unload reels and basic items from their intro to photography courses, most in very good condition for good prices.

In the past few weeks in NYC ive been seeing almost 1 enlarger/darkroom setup being cleared out every other day. Earlier in the year you wouldn't see 1 enlarger in the metro area in a month. I got myself a lpl670xl enlarger BNIB (without baseboard) for $75, and Im picking up an extra tank and 4 reels tomorrow with some extras.

goodluck!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdEye View Post
    Hi, I am living in San Diego, CA, and I would like to know where can I buy dev stuff here? This is my first time to develop so I am looking for chems,tanks and reels, changing bag (anything else I forgot?). I cannot buy online as of the moment. Thanks. (for B&W film)
    Simple Google search gives you these two, both sell darkroom supplies:
    http://www.georgescamera.com/
    http://www.nelsonphotosupplies.com/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies. I have now posted an ad in craigslist, hopefully somebody has them for sale over there. :P I also checked the link, they sell chemicals but I do not see any listing for tanks/reels/etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know if you'll be so lucky in your area but I've picked up two darkroom sets for FREE off Craigslist in the past year and had the opportunity to get another one free last week. I'm not sure the wife would have been pleased with me so I let it go. I also paid $50 for another. Hopefully you'll get something from your Craigslist ad.

Do your local photography stores not sell anything at all? I only ask because there are only two such store in my area and both of them have at least basic developing equipment and chemicals and could probably order an enlarger if you really want new stuff. Chances are if there are colleges in your area with photo classes there will be a store that has at least a small corner still dedicated to film.

Adam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look up Nelson Photo on India St. They are downtown San Diego. I haven't been there in years and they most likely have a small selection (if any) of wet darkroom supplies now. Prices were also high.
    Unfortunately online prices are much more competitive.

Edit: Nelson was already mentioned. Didn't know Georges was still around. They are on 30th St.
    Last edited by Wade D; 06-15-2011 at 11:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

darkroom stuff

Depending on how far you want to drive. Going from e-mails of people that live in the San Diego County, some drive north to camera show/swapmeets held in Orange County. I believe the swapmeet is held monthly, but it wasn't held in June.

I have not been to the OC swapmeet, but have been to the Pasadena swapmeet held monthly. I must admit, there isn't too many darkroom items as most sellers tell me that darkroom items move very slow. By the same token, I have picked up some great deals on darkroom items. I picked up two Beseler 23C enlargers with accessories for $20.
    Craigslist is the other option. I recently picked up a real nice Beseler 45MXT with a color Dichro head, timer, neg carrier and darkroom books for a mere $45.
    Darkroom equipment sells for pennies on the dollar.

Best of luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to get my chemicals from Calumet in Encinitas. They have ilford and kodak chemicals. I would also get film there as well. Oceanside Telescope has chemicals, paper, film, developing hardware also.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin