Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,345   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Darkroom Equipment

What would you say is the best enlarger for black and white 6x6 negatives?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't about "the best" but I have an Omega D-2 and D-II. They are great.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like my B-22, particularly because it easy to move since I don't have permanent darkroom. It is a single column enlarger that easily detaches from the base and isn't heavy at all. 6x6 is the largest negative a B-22 will accommodate. The only other enlarger I have used is a motorized Beseler 45 with a color head. Nice enlarger but huge.
    Jason

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lens will matter more. As far as the enlarger goes, all that matters is that it be straight and rigid, i.e. not vibration-prone. Try to get one with a dovetail column and not a circular post as the latter can be quite flexible. LPL6700 and 7700 are pretty common, affordable and rigid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best is the one with the tall column so that you can print a 20x20 - 24x24" print on an easel, a Componon-S lens, glass and glassless neg carriers for your film sizes, found within driving distance and costs less than $100. Oh and comes with a colour head as well.

So where in the world do you live? Makes a difference in recommending a specific model.

How much room do you have? Used 4x5 enlargers are somewhat oversized, but if not worn out, can be a treat to use.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

Your question is most likely impossible to answer, but there are lots of good answers to the similar question:

"What would be a very good enlarger for black and white 6x6 negatives?".

From another thread, I take it you are in San Diego, California. Both Beseler and Omega enlargers have a number of good models and their availability (including parts and accessories) should be good where you are. There are other good choices as well. I'd suggest looking through sources like eBay and Craigslist and any used photographic equipment retailers near you, and seek opinions here about anything you find.

Personally, I have had decades of good service from a Beseler 67C, and recently have enjoyed using an Omega D6. A Beseler 23C series enlarger is also a good choice.

EDIT: I realize now that the San Diego location actually referred to another member.
    Last edited by MattKing; 06-14-2011 at 11:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Omega C700 is a good condenser enlarger at a very affordable price, I have one at home. Its very light and portable if you plan to do bathroom enlarging.

I use on a daily basis LPL/Saunders 6700(diachronic) and 6600(vc) series enlargers which are diffusion. These have great build quality, so good that I picked up a lpl 670xl(slightly higher end) for myself when one was available at the right price. And these can take the abuse, you find them in universities or community darkrooms.

If you are doing exclusively 6x6 pick up a nice bright 75/80mm lens, that is the most critical part of any enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for Omega C-700 for light weight and stability. If you can leave it set up all the time then a Beseler 23C series is great. These are beasts to move though, very large and heavy, rigid, and once set up properly, dead accurate.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Chillicothe, "Home of Sliced Bread", Missouri
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say one that you have and that works. Good lens and a timer that is accurate.
    Cameras.
    Nikon F2a (semi-retired), Nikon 28mm, Sigma 500mm f8, Vivitar Series I 70-210 zoom
    2 Nikon N90s one 70 - 300 AF Macro, one 100 - 300 AF)
    Nikon N90 w/ 100 - 300 AF lens, 24-50 AF, 35-70 AF
    Mamiya C220 80mm f2.8, 180mm f4.5, 135mm f4.5, 65mm f6.5

Three Sony Mavica Digital cameras, and a Fuji FinePix S2800HD I got after the partner died.. HP Photosmart E327
    and some Bushnell Binoculars with digit camera built in.
    Omega Super Chromega C-700 6X7 enlarger with 50mm and 80mm lens

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys I really appreciate all your comments. Anyone know where to get C41 chemicals in Montreal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin