Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 808

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

D-2 Variable Condenser

I attached an image of Omega D-2 enlarger. I know it is a small low res image but I was hoping someone with a little experience with these enlargers would be able to tell me if that looks like a variable condenser model or not. It appears to be so, but I am not 100% sure. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3ka3m33p15O15W15P2b6a5b70aa0f7cd3162a.jpg  
    Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, see the chrome front plate on the variable condenser drawer on the lamphouse.
    This is directly above the round chromish regular condenser housing.

That hinged chrome flap is a drawer where you can position the variable condenser.

I have the DII that was converted but I then converted to a Super Chromega D Dichroic head.
    Your example also looks like it has a later, better rail on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool, thanks. It is an enlarger I am going to be picking up in the next several days, essentially saving it from being thrown away.

Any tips on what to what out for in transport would also be much appreciated. I plan to take it off it's base and lay it on its side in the trunk. Anything I should look out for not to damage or fall off?
    Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are tanks but obviously take the condensers out and wrap then in something.
    Try not to tweak the rear rails any.

Mine was shipped in 2 boxes via UPS and arrived fine.

These don't get much respect but mine is ample for everything I do. Parts are cheap & plentiful.

Check out classicenlargers (.org?) for Harry the Omega guru.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a plan. I guess the variable condenser is easily pulled out but do I need any tools to get to the, I guess, two condensers below the variable drawer? I currently use a B-22 and the lamp housing is removed with two thumb screws, does this break down as easily?
    Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thumb screws for the lower condensers.
    The housing twists off once you loosen the thumbscrews.

The upper variable condenser slides right out of the drawer, it's mounted to a metal plate.

The lower ones are loose in there but there is a ribbed foil "spacer" that you want to note its position and replace as you found it.

The rest will need tools like adjustable wrench and pliers and maybe some screw drivers.
    Be careful of the negative stage and the lens stage under it.
    Like don't lay it down resting on the neg stage etc.
    I would only disassemble what is absolutely necessary for transport.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for tips and all the info. It's much appreciated.
    Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    WAIT! DO NOT DISASSEMBLE!!

It's ok to unscrew the condenser and take off the baseboard but don't go beyond that UNLESS you are prepared to spend frustrating days trying to align it back up! I took it apart to rebuild it and it took me days to get it right again and I had to borrow an alignment tool to do it.

Yes, it is a D-2 with VC. When you twist the lower condenser off, make sure it's how brucemuir describes it. D-2 and D-II came with 4 different condenser at one time. VC supposed to have the largest one where lens occupy the full diameter of the aluminum outer casing. If anything else, it's a wrong one. Plus, make sure the drawer has the movable lens in it.

Before you try to move it, make sure it's locked up. If you look lower right of the beam, you will see a small plastic locking "thing" with a thumb screw on it. Otherwise, the carriage will slide up or down while trying to move the whole thing.

I have a D-II with VC and D-2 with regular condenser. They are great, stable enlarger.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I didn't plan to do disassemble anything except for enough to remove the condensers. I don't plan to touch the negative stage or lens stage at all.

So just to be clear, the round aluminum housing that holds the fixed condensers can slide out on it's own? The variable condenser drawer and lamp housing are self supported?

My plan is to bring some old shirts. I plan to wrap the variable condenser in a shirt, remove the fixed condenser housing and just wrap the whole thing in a shirt and place that in the front of my car. The baseboard and enlarger would go in the trunk with the enlarger resting on it's side probably on an old blanket.
    Jason

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, when you say...

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post

Before you try to move it, make sure it's locked up. If you look lower right of the beam, you will see a small plastic locking "thing" with a thumb screw on it. Otherwise, the carriage will slide up or down while trying to move the whole thing.
    does the knob resemble the lock nut on my B-22. I attached an image below. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00298.JPG  
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin