Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,358   Online: 732

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Please recommend a developing tank for 4x5

Hi,

Am contemplating doing my own 4x5 (and perhaps larger one day) b&w negs. would like to process in daylight. What kind of tank / drum is recommended? I am looking for something that is easy to use, relatively idiot proof and, of course, economical.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Brad.

Images
    I don't think you can have all of those. I recommend Jobo 3000 series tanks on a generic rotary base.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have found that the Combi Plan is good if you want a manual tank. I currently use Jobo 2500 series drum on a Jobo for 4x5 and smaller and a 3000 series drum for 5x7 and 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second Larry's recommendation fo the HP Combi Plan for a manual processing tank. I have been using one for several years and no complaints.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Images
    Good Evening, Brad,

Unless you intend to process a large number of sheets on a routine basis, the simplest solution is to use a color processing drum. The 8 x 10 size will take four 4 x 5 sheets, uses minimal solution amounts, and meets all the criteria you have stated. Prices on E-Bay are very low; you should be able to get one for under $20. A motor base rotator won't cost much more. Personally, I recommend the Chromega brand, but others get good results with the Unicolor. Just avoid anything like a Cibachrome drum which has no means of keeping 4 x 5 sheets locked into place and separated and also has a completely smooth interior which doesn't allow solution to reach the base side of the film to remove any anti-halation layer.

Nothing against the Jobo or Combi-Plan approach, but they more expensive and not quite as simple. For durability, consider that my Chromega drum has provided highly consistent and even development for over twenty-five years with no leakage problems. Check through the forums for other posts; this topic has been addressed before.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical
    Good Evening, Brad,

Check through the forums for other posts; this topic has been addressed before.

Konical
    Thanks! I just did a search of the APUG forums...I see what you mean. This is a recurring question. Mental note...search first, then ask.

Thanks everybody for the recommendations.

Brad.

Hi Brad,

Here is a solution that has been used by many folks.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can vouch for the Unicolor drums, from personal experience. If you can get the motorized base, even better.

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I was using a unicolor drum for 8x10 until I switched to tray development a few weeks ago - it works really well.

I did have a small problem with increased stain/pressure marks/somethingorother along the ribs with Rollo Pyro (invisible on the neg, showed up in the print). Apparently Pyrocat works better in that situation, but once I got my Pyrocat, I started doing it in trays.

Anyway, back to the point, I also suggest the unicolor system...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I bought some tupperware tubs for a buck each. works really great and I can do 8 negs at a time on hangers with no problem. Another benefit is I can seal up the tubs between sessions to keep the chemicals fresh.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin