Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,580   Online: 878

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got some parts from a subscriber here. http://www.apug.org/forums/members/krifartida/
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Sirius: my quantities are pretty low and I shoot mostly rollfilm so it'd take me a few years (unless I have a big phase-change and decide I like the field camera I don't yet have better than my RZ) to get it down to $2/sheet at the $450 most people are asking for a 3010. $250-300 I could probably survive though, or I might get a 3006, which often seems to be cheaper. Or hell, I might just try a 2509N, some people seem to be able to make them work!
    Then work with MF and wait until something wonderful comes along. Almost every time I went to buy something I was always out bid the first time. Then the same thing with better quality came by at a better price.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've used the 3006 tank, and it was good, but now I use the 2509N reels and like them just as much. With the reels, I can do up to 12 sheets at a time, but the 3006 limited me to six sheets at once. I have also bought from the eBay seller you used. He shipped quickly and the stuff really was new, but it differed from some of the older stuff I had, which made me think either I had really old stuff, or the new stuff wasn't made by Jobo, but a rather a copy. Either way, they are nice and work great.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    15XX system tanks have advantages and disadvantages compared to 25XX tanks.
    the 250XX tanks uses less chemistry for smaller quantities of film per process, but get less efficient as you stack them up. the 1500 are better when loaded full or with extensions, but they do not allow for 4X5 reels...
    also - i have found that even with a flat level processor the 1500 tanks as they are smaller are more prone to uneven developing on one end of the drum (usually the bottom end), where less active developer ends up due to the design of the tank, 2500 tanks suffer less from this issue.
    there is also something to be said about convenience difference in loading 1501 reels vs 2502. matter of preference really. after you get used to it they are pretty much the same.
    2509 reels give really amazing results, and after comparing them with 3010 drum results i am not sure it is worth the huge extra cost, however, 3010 drums use much much much less chemistry (about 50% less for same amount of film when fully loaded), which might be worth while calculating in to the total cost of purchasing and operating a drum. also of course - 3010 drums are ONLY for sheet film, where as with your multi tank 5 you can mix and match 1X2509 and 2X2502 reels at the same time, basically trying to say, its more flexible.

any other questions..? ask away!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    also forgot to mention - you CANT use 1500 tanks without extension arms, same thing goes for expert drums (3010)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    15XX system tanks have advantages and disadvantages compared to 25XX tanks.
    the 250XX tanks uses less chemistry for smaller quantities of film per process, but get less efficient as you stack them up. the 1500 are better when loaded full or with extensions, but they do not allow for 4X5 reels...

also - i have found that even with a flat level processor the 1500 tanks as they are smaller are more prone to uneven developing on one end of the drum (usually the bottom end), where less active developer ends up due to the design of the tank, 2500 tanks suffer less from this issue.
    (underlining is mine)

Doesn't the 25xx series use more chemicals than the 15xx series? My 1510 requires 140ml for 1 135/36 roll, and my 1520 requires 240ml for 2 135/36 rolls.

Regarding uneven development, could you explain better the part of the quote which I underlined? The bottom of the 15xx is almost flat, there is only a small niche which is filled by the base of the rod.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think he means that because the dev quantity is smaller, when the tank is tilted, the shallow end will be much shallower.

However, I don't see min-chem requirements as a limiting factor for me - for B&W I need more dev than the minima just so that it doesn't exhaust (300-500mL/roll) and for colour, I just chuck in 500mL+ then reuse it.

I've ordered some roller extensions and some core extensions that should let me do a few rolls at once; currently considering offering on a 3010 I've seen otherwise I'll buy a 2509N ($100) from joboman.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The Jobo 25xx are made for rotary development. The 15xx in fact for inversion and they can be critiqual in rotary use.

For sheet film the 30xx are the best however if you have no problem with the loading system of the 2509N reel, 4x5" can be done in this way too.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Repeating from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Ok, I'm a little confused on this one here. I finally got around to getting my CPP-2 w/lift setup and decided to test it out by developing two rolls in a 1520 tank.

What I found was with the regular rollers, the tank was too small and it never came near the rollers. But when I put in the "extension" rollers, they were too tall, causing the tank to not sit level and the gears to make some horrendous noise. I compromised by not using the rollers at all, just letting it hang off of the white tabs and propping up the lift arm slightly to get the tank level (was drooping down a bit because of the play between the clips and the cog).

Obviously this is not something I want to do long term, so what is the solution? I like the 1520 tank but I do have the regular 2820 with reels as well. I guess I don't mind using that but for doing 2x135 films the 1520 is just perfectly sized.

Is there an adapter or special roller I am missing for the 1520?

Edit: Sorry mods, this should probably be in "Darkroom Equipment". Please feel free to move this for me. Thanks!
    Use the extensions, but turn them around so that they are not too high. See Attached Thumbnails.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jobo rollers.jpg  
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    it seems the user form the quoted post did not insert the extension arms all the way in to their slots, causing the tank to be too high.

but the attached diagram lives no room for error, if only poeple bothered to read the effing manual before they discovered stuff does not work...

even when 1500 tanks are filled beyond MAX capacity in rotation use, the films in any tank longer then 1520 will get more density on one end of the tank.
    IE - when loading 5 35mm in 1520+1530 using lift, the films towards the base of the tank (away from the lift) with get less developer agitation resulting in lower density. it is not a consitent thing, but i have seen it range from non issue 1/3 stop to more then -1 stop compared to same type of film in top of tank (closer to lift). this ofcourse refers to BW only. i have not seen this in C-41 or E-6.
    the bigger the tank, the greater the density gap between top and bottom. i will admit the biggest 2500 tank i used for film is multi tank 8 (2840) with 8X35mm (and the same with 2X2509 and 18 sheets of 4X5 which i did on a regualr basis for a long time) and i saw no noticeable density change from top to bottom, where as i went up to 10 rolls in 1510+3X1530, and there you can really see the films on the bottom end got less of everything. i tested this on other machines as well with similar, but as i said, not exact consistent results.

who ever runs a commercial lab process (as i did for a while) runs in to these issues. the simple way around it is to make smaller batches.

another thing - the chemical usage difference between 1500 and 2500 is pretty negligible unless you really do a million rolls a day so i take that comment back as irrelevant. however there is about a 30-40% difference between multitank 5 for sheet film and 3010 tanks. (560ml for max 12 plates 55ml per plate - VS 310ml for 10 plates 31ml per plate.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin