Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,736   Online: 1126

Shooter
    35mm

Rodenstock Rogonar-S 50mm

I have a collection of starter lenses, most in the under $100 range. What will I see if I buy something like this lens? Sharper? Better light distribution? More contrast?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that you will have another starter lens to add to your collection. It is a simple 4 element design in three groups. Although it is capable of producing good enlargements, considering the low cost of excellent lenses these days; I would invest in one of the following: Rodagon, Apo Rodagon, El Nikkor, Componon, Componon S and others. Choose a 6 element design as these are generally sharper.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have printed with the base lenses that come with enlargers, besseler and rondenstock omegron 3.5, and those 4 element lenses are useable but just junk. 4 Element lenses seem to only work well with longer focal lengths. I currently use a Rodagon 50mm 2.8 and a Componon S 50mm 2.8 and those two lenses are just beautiful and sharp. I also use a nasty el nikkor 50mm 2.8 that has deep cleaning marks and fog over half the front element, but it works and is useable at f8.

I can only recommend any 50mm lens thats f2.8 with a 6 element design. No need to get an APO unless your doing color work. The brighter lenses will help with focusing, and exposure times as you only need to stop down to f5.6. Some also have nifty light up indicies to show your aperture.

Honestly with the prices of enlarger lenses the difference between a f3.5 lens and a f2.8 lens is very small. The only problem is getting a nice version, try looking for a closed shop thats selling of its stuff, as there were significant differences between lens to lens from the same manufacturer and make. Smarter printers (like from commercial shops) bought a few and tested them and returned the rest, only accepting the best copies, if they read some of the testing literature on enlarging lenses.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin