Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 792

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've found the biggest problem with stainless steel tanks is that the lid's get mismatched. Tanks and lids do not seem to match well across brands. I have a couple of older Nikor tanks where the lids are original to the base and no problems. Same issue with the top cap.

I've also run into problems where the "aftermarket" plastic caps fit one brand of base and not another. Sometimes they'll only go on with difficulty, resulting in premature cracking.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    How is the lid holding up on the Kalt?
    Mine are fine too after a year of use. Before I bought the two Kalt 4-reel tanks I have, I used a bunch of old 1960s-era Nikor tanks that I got new in the box at a photo swap-meet when i was in college years ago. They're still good too, but the Kalts with plastic lids don't leak on my hands like the old metal lids do on the Nikors. I know the Kalt lids will wear out, I've seen them in schools wear out but like the others here said, they're $5 to replace.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My generic lids are going fine. The oldest two are about 5 years old. The more recent one is maybe 3.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i heard (and actually then saw) that you can load the hawes reels in to Jobo tanks, center core and all. Jobo tanks never leak, i have yet to have seen a broken one.
    simply put the best stainless steel tank for ss reels is a plastic one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    i heard (and actually then saw) that you can load the hawes reels in to Jobo tanks, center core and all. Jobo tanks never leak, i have yet to have seen a broken one.
    simply put the best stainless steel tank for ss reels is a plastic one.
    I'd like to see that. I have a Jobo 1520 tank and I also have a Hewes 120 size SS reel, and there's no way in the world that the gap in the centre of the Hewes reel would fit over the centre core of the Jobo tank. I wish it would.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    ... I wish it would ...
    Although not cheap, I have two of Hewes SS reels for my paterson tank and they are wonderful. You can buy them at RK Photographic

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before you use any of the SS tanks make an identifying mark on the tank, lid and caps. I scratch these on the under surface of the item. Tanks may leak if you should swap lids and tanks.

It is easier to remove lids if you first remove the cap. This allows air to enter as you remove the lid and prevents suction from making this difficlt.

Tanks are easier to fill if you tilt tham slightly so that air can escape as it is being filled. This prevents burping.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wotalegend View Post
    I'd like to see that. I have a Jobo 1520 tank and I also have a Hewes 120 size SS reel, and there's no way in the world that the gap in the centre of the Hewes reel would fit over the centre core of the Jobo tank. I wish it would.
    check this out:

item number 160605512108 on zleezbay.

Jobo with hewes reels.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    also, the light trap funnel in Jobo tanks can easily be sealed with an original part or simple improv, then just drop ANY reels in there that fit the tanks diameter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    check this out:

item number 160605512108 on zleezbay.

Jobo with hewes reels.
    Ah, the picture explains it - the reels are different to my Hewes reel. They have a much bigger hole in the centre. My reel has a hole which will barely take a pencil through it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin