Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,759   Online: 989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Which graduated cylinders for a beginner?

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a small darkroom (in my bathroom), to develop BW negatives (no printing - yet?).

As of today I only shoot 35mm.

I have a question about graduated cylinders. How many do I need and how big?
    I was thinking about 50cc + 300cc as suggested by Ilford tutorial from the web site.

What do you guys use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use anything from 50cc to 1000cc. Bigger is better for thorough mixing but it really depends on your usage. Smaller is good for more accurate dilutions of chem like Rodinal, big is for mixing up stock solutions of Hypo etc. You can always start w/ilford recommendations & add as you go on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 500ml
    For measuring Rodinal and other small quantities I use syringes ($1 or less from drugstore) which are more accurate
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    I use a 10cc and a 50cc. Everything else is measured in pyrex measuring cups.

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a ball pipette for measuring Rodinal - it has a 10ml scale with 0,1ml incriments and is much better to use than a syringe.

More exact, I can put it deeper in the bottle and I can clean it MUCH better. And those things arent much more expensive than a single-use syringe.

For the rest - glas graduated cylinders, 10ml, 25ml, 100ml and a cup for the full liter.

I usually use either Rodinal (5-10ml) or A49 (50ml), but sometimes E6 is in the game, too... and for one-shot use I only need 150ml in the Jobo, which makes up for very small amounts of concentrates.
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a 10ml, for Rodinal and alt processes, a 50ml that doesn't get much use since I got the 10ml, and a 250ml, used mostly for diluting liquid concentrates. Measuring cups work fine for most other things (4c/1qt/1l), and they have the advantage of doubling as beakers to mix dry chemicals. Even better, they are cheap! (I picked several up at a dollar store).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What ever is cheap and easy to read. Be carefull of [COLOR=Red]red[/COLOR] ink printing on the sides of what ever you decide to use. It tends to flake off and unless the markings are raised, it makes impossible to read.
    I have a 50ml, a 650ml, and 2 - 1000ml plastic beakers with raised measurements in both standard and metric on the sides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally I have about 5 1 litre graduates, a couple of 600ml 3 2 litre jugs 2 25ml and 2 50ml and a big 3 litre for mixing bulk chemicals. I also bought a couple of 5 cc medicine syringes for using with Dixactol. They have rubber bungs in the end that fit into the bottle.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As noted above, the closer you can get to the size you require, the more likely you are to get acurate results...

One thing not discussed is LARGE quantities...

I have a 1 gallon jug that I remarked very accurately with a scratch into the side and marker embedded into it. I found it in the automotive section or a local hardware store and has a 2 part lid that opens up to avoid splashing... I think it's for mixing antifreeze or something like that. I use it for Dektol, Hypo clear etc... Anything that needs to be made up to 1 Gallon quantities.

Hope that helps,

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a std bucket is useful also for mixing 3-5litres of whatever (Dektol, D76, XTOL, etc). I use mine to hold all the other bits'n'pieces for film developing (tank, measuring jugs, etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin