Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,733   Online: 883

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

good big stop watch for my darkroom

Do you know of any good stopwatch that would be practical in a darkroom:

- big enough to see the time from far away
    - easy to operate with one hand and with gloves on
    - illuminated to see in bad light conditions

I don't know what else is important in a darkroom. Maybe you have some other things I should consider. I worked with a normal digital sportwatch and I must say its really nerve racking.

Oh and it shouldn't be too expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    GraLab timers can be picked up in APUG Classifieds for about $25US.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails darkroom timer.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing of that sort, short of a Gralab 300 or such. I use digital kitchen timers with alarms. Preset the time for procedure, activate, then stop when it chimes. I have several and set one for each step. I dont need to see them, only listen.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm assuming that you are asking about printing, and have safelight illumination.

A largish battery operated clock with a sweep second hand works well once you get to the point where you know the timings off by heart. Just make a mental note of what the time will need to be at the end of each step in the process when you commence that step.

Oh, and make sure that the sweep second hand itself isn't red or orange - otherwise it will be really hard to see under safelight.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you in need of a timer? I may have a spare Time-O-lite or Gralab I can part with. I think my Time-o-lite is even self resetting(some are, some aren't).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about one of these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 384 timer.JPG  
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is this for?

I went though several iterations and settled on Gralab digital timers. Gralab 300 was nice but accuracy at less than 10 minutes weren't great. Digital versions aren't 100% reliable but works well enough for my needs. I believe I paid $50 or something right here on APUG.

I also use several non-lit LCD digital kitchen timers for processing. Even with my dim safe-light, I can see well enough and beeps to be used as a process timer for dev, stop, fix, etc. for paper.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paterson still make a very nice 60 minute timer that is quite easy to see. It has three buttons, stop, go and reset. You could also keep an eye out on ebay for a large Junghans timer. Same as the Paterson in function but wall mounted and 12 inches in diameter. I favour the Gralab timer. Very easy to use with one hand and very visible in the darkroom. The only downside, for me, was that I had to install an extra power point over the sink.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most darkroom processes don't need to be precisely accurate. Just consistent. I have two Gralab 300's in my darkroom for general process timing, and a Gralab 450 to control exposures on my enlarger. I've also got a Gralab 900 that I don't use. It has to be one of the weirdest and most difficult to use timers ever made. If anyone wants the 900, contact me, I'll sell it cheap. It works fine for a Rube Goldberg, but it's in cosmetically rough condition.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin