Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,737   Online: 994

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watziss?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Watziss?

I acquired this when I picked up my Jobo, was in with the processing tubes. I looked at it for awile, then tossed it back in the box. A few weeks later, I listed some Ilfochrome tubes here, and while looking up instructions for their use, I finally figured out what it was. You have a couple of clues already.

Can you figure it out?

Make your best guesses, then I'll show the rest of the photos and explain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ciba-000 001-1.jpg   ciba-000 002-2.jpg   ciba-000 003-3.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    I acquired this when I picked up my Jobo, was in with the processing tubes. I looked at it for awile, then tossed it back in the box. A few weeks later, I listed some Ilfochrome tubes here, and while looking up instructions for their use, I finally figured out what it was. You have a couple of clues already.

Can you figure it out?

Make your best guesses, then I'll show the rest of the photos and explain.
    It's an old 4x5 Cibachrome processing tube from way back when. Ilford marketed a 4x5 Cibachrome starter processing kit back in the late '70s to early '80s to let people try out the process at a relatively low price. The kit included paper, chems, the drum and i think a basic filter kit. If memory serves, the kit sold for about $21.95 US..

Mike
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    It's an old 4x5 Cibachrome processing tube from way back when. Ilford marketed a 4x5 Cibachrome starter processing kit back in the late '70s to early '80s to let people try out the process at a relatively low price. The kit included paper, chems, the drum and i think a basic filter kit. If memory serves, the kit sold for about $21.95 US..

Mike
    You are correct! It's a two sheet, 4x5 processing drum. It uses a whopping 40ml of liquid to develope a pair of 4x5 sheets of film. I souped a pair of Delta 400 4x5's in Rodinal 1+50 and, except for an overlap mark on one negative, obtained perfectly developed film!

Here is what is inside, and the result. It is the most perfect pack-along processor I have ever found. Pour 40ml chems in the female end(holding upright), carefuly lay on side and roll back and forth on a counter. When step is complete, just hold upright over the sink and let the chems drain from the male end, while pouring fresh chems into the female end for the next step. The fresh chems are held inside the internal cup until the tube is laid on its side.

How ingenious!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ciba-000 004-4.jpg   ciba-000 005-5.jpg   first lily.jpg  
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Would it work with 5x4 film?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would if you shot in portrait mode only!
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps I should have read all of your post! Then I would have realised that you have already processed film with it - even if it is your strange US film which is rotated ninety degrees compared to ours!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Upon further study, you could use it, but only one sheet at a time, as you would have to insert the film the wrong direction to use.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Rick A,

A small caution. Years ago I tried using one to develop film but the area where the cylinder transitions to the funnel was thin enough that light came through and fogged that area. I think it would have worked well in comparatively subdued light.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for that tip. I used it in broad daylight in my kitchen the other afternoon, no problems(other than careless loading and film overlap).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of these, though haven't tried it yet. I know it was for 4x5 film, but didn't know it was manufactured by/for Cibachrome. Essentially, it's BTZS tube's ancestor.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin