Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,448   Online: 776

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another to consider is the Vivitar VHE. The German made ones were Componons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Schneider Comparon 75mm f/4.5 that you can have if you are in US and willing to pay for shipping. It's not in perfect shape but certainly usable and gives fine results. I have used it for 645 negs. Can someone confirm/deny if this will do 6x6?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I have a Schneider Comparon 75mm f/4.5 that you can have if you are in US and willing to pay for shipping. It's not in perfect shape but certainly usable and gives fine results. I have used it for 645 negs. Can someone confirm/deny if this will do 6x6?
    That is the perfect price for that lens. I'd grab that and start printing now while looking for a 6 element lens. It sould work fine for 6x6 and should give good results at f11 at moderate enlargement ratios.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually had some fine results printing 35mm and 645 to 11x14 equivalent. (cropping were involved) I recall using f/5.6 and f/8. I almost never go as high as f/11 and higher.

Anyway, if OP wants it, it's available.

Do you know how many element this thing have?? It's a pretty well made small lens....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    I tested my Beslar 50mm lens against my El-Nikkor 50 when I first got the Nikon, on a 35mm negative printed to 11x14. I couldn't see any great difference beyond slightly different contrast and exposure due to probably slightly different aperture calibrations. I still use the Nikon, but I would never have paid full price for it.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Enlarger lenses design is no more rocket science since the advent of computer calculation.
    so any decent and willing maker should produce excellent lenses of standard design. (i.e. not wide angle nor zoom).
    Of course the variation from serial number to serial number has something to do with quality control, workers skills...
    IMHO, buy any 6 lenses design and you should have a very fine lens.
    In Europe, behind the iron curtain, the Czech Meopta has produced very god to excellent+ lenses. They are often sold as paper weight now.
    Minolta had a decent line too as does Fuji.
    The main advantage of Nikon, Rodenstock and Schneider is that they had the whole range of focal availlable. So if you plan to enlarge negatives from 135 to large format for one exhibition, having the very same lens makes all the prints look the same. But it is a very marginal advantage.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Even the leading lens makers usually often offer different grades of enlarging lenses. An EL-Nikkor 50mm f/4 is a decent four element design, while my old six element EL-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 offers easier focusing and better performance at large apertures. I've encountered two Omega lenses that were original to their enlargers, and were real dogs. A tiny 50mm f/6.3 on a Russian enlarger was quite sharp, but difficult to focus. I replaced the original lens on an ancient 4x5 deJur enlarger, expecting a significant improvement in contrast and perhaps sharpness. There was little difference.

Shooter
    35mm

I have some extra lenses

Hello, this is Chris Johnson. I have just finished building myself a new darkroom and have an extra 135 mm Schneider (possibly misspelled) It has some slight marks on it, nothing that would affect functionality. Would be happy to send it to you as a
    gift, would be around next weekend, Saturday morning before it would be sent.
    Just trying to help a fellow darkroom person.
    If you are interested, reply to my regular e-mail address:

Fyrwnrdy at yahoo dot com
    best wishes,
    Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Do you know how many element this thing have?? It's a pretty well made small lens....
    The Comparon is a 4-element, 3-group Tessar type enlarging lens like the 4-element EL Nikkors.

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/cpr.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some years ago I standardized on Schneider Apo-Componon enlarging lenses for all focal lengths. I print 35mm through 4x5.

If you print color slides (Cibachrome), it's nice to have lenses that are corrected at all three wavelengths, as apos are.

Apo correction has no real advantage for B&W, which uses only blue light (for graded papers) or green and blue (for variable-contrast papers).

- Leigh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin