Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 794

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Scratch on glass holder

I have a glass holder (anti-Newton) for 4x5 for my Beseler 45MX. The bottom piece of glass (normal glass, right?) has a small group of scratches. They're barely feelable, but definitely show up in a print. I could swear they weren't there when I bought it (used), but I can't figure out how I could have made them. Anyway, should I just look around for the right glass and replace it or could it be possible to burnish them out with the right bit on a dremel? Then, if it's worse, I can buy more glass. And what would be a good source for glass that's the right size?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    http://fpointinc.com/glass.htm is a good source

Jon

--the clear glass piece is only $15
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 07-06-2011 at 04:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try flipping the glass or wet mounting the negative, but why not just replace it with coated glass from someplace like Edmunds?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I doubt if you could make local corrections that won't show up in prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not even worth trying to remove them, you will just remove some glass forming a depression and a concave lens at the same time. No more scratches, just optical distortion.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't skimp on negative carrier glass. Dust, scratches and chips out of a camera lens don't show up in prints, however, everyone seems to be so concerned about it. Negative carrier glass shows every little glass imperfeciton in all your prints. I'd consider putting two fresh pieces of glass on any used carrier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Don't skimp on negative carrier glass. Dust, scratches and chips out of a camera lens don't show up in prints, however, everyone seems to be so concerned about it. Negative carrier glass shows every little glass imperfeciton in all your prints. I'd consider putting two fresh pieces of glass on any used carrier.
    Excellent points. It can be expensive, but well worth the investment once all is said and done and you have got plenty of good prints out of it.

And yes, a lens can be quite "screwed up" and still do it's intended job remarkably well. Two of my favorite lenses are clearly infested with fungus, yet sharper than I will ever need. And one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used has a big nick in the front element (Canon 200mm f/2.8 FD).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered new glass. Thanks for the link, Jon!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin