Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,935   Posts: 1,557,056   Online: 1250

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to perhaps be clearer, "medium format" generally means 120 or 220 film which is 60mm wide. On that film, people commonly shoot these sizes:
    - 645 = 42x57mm (16-18 per 120)
    - 6x6 = 57x57mm (12 per 120)
    - 6x7 = 57x69mm (10 per 120)
    - 6x9 = 57x88mm (8 per 120)
    - 6x12 = 57x115mm (6 per 120)
    - 6x17 = 57x170mm (4 per 120)
    ... and twice as much per 220 roll. The film is just an undifferentiated strip, the frame placement and size is up to the camera.

So with that enlarger, you can do 645 and 6x6 if you had the right lens (75-80mm); they're readily available. It might support 6x7 with a new neg carrier; I don't know but google will.

There are a billion "which MF camera to buy" threads to go read; it's an entirely personal choice and if you ask it here, you will receive every possible answer...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi thank for that. Had a look there but can't see a 75/80mm lens in 39mm thread. I have a vivitar 50mm f/3.5 lens on my enlarger, looks to be a very common lens. If anyone wants to do a swap just yell out Regarding camera, I've pretty much settled on either Bronica ETRS/i or Mamiya m645. I want to do some portraits so I'm just hanging out on ebay waiting for the right kit to come along.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Look for a "Rodagon or "Componon"; Componon-S is even better but Componar is to be avoided. EL-Nikkors are good if you get the right (6-element) ones. People generally won't advertise the thread on the enlarger lens because 95% of them are the same M39. Enlarger lenses are not the same as (most) camera objective lenses; they are designed for flat field and close focus, magnifications of typically 6:1, whereas an objective you might put on a camera will typically have its best performance nearer to infinity.

A quick look at eBay shows 9 Rodagons and 12 Componons available, all in 80mm, and they tend to pop up on APUG every couple of weeks. Get the f/4 if you possibly can; not because you want to use it at f/4 but because it's easier to compose and focus under the enlarger and it (depending on who you ask) might be sharper but generally you'll be diffraction-limited in enlargement anyway. Any of the undamaged ones I saw for sale would work well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, the Mamiya 645 cameras give you 15 exposures to a roll of 120.

And the Lucky enlargers are sometimes seen re-branded - I think that they are/were sold under the Bogen name in the USA.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin