Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,016   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Omega Enlarger problem

Hi All,

So I've nearly gotten my swank new darkroom set up, and everything is going smoothly save for one hitch...every time I plug in my Super Chromega D Dichroic II enlarger it trips the ground switch on the socket. I've tried running it through the standard power supply via multiple different timers, and through the Chromegatrol timer/power supply.

My line is from a 15-amp circuit and I'm running 110V. From what I've read and can tell, the power supply and the Chromegatrol should be able to run on this. There is a "tap" line in the Standard power supply that I can change to 100V, 110V and 117V. I've tried them all and nothing seems to work.

I've tested the socket and the power supply with a Voltage/Ohm meter and they seem to be in perfect working order. It's only when I plug in the enlarger that I lose power.

Sooo...does anyone know where I should start with the enlarger? Is there a connection or piece of wiring that goes bad, typically, in these Omegas?

I'm not an electrician, and I've never taken apart an enlarger, but I may have the assistance of a friend who is more technically-inclined...

Any help would be much appreciated...

-Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Have you tried plugging it into a different socket? Perhaps with an extension cord into another room. There may be other things running on that circuit that you are unaware of.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you referring to a GFI type outlet? The breaker on a Ground Fault Interrupter pops when there is current flow or leakage to ground. This would possibly indicate a wiring fault in the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is the possibility of a short in the wiring somewhere in the enlarger. Also check to make sure it's grounded properly. If you are plugging into a ground fault interrupter recepticle and it trips immediatly, could be a bad ground on the machine.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is not common to the Omega Dichro II power supply or the Chromegatrol.

About your comment,

“…every time I plug in my Super Chromega D Dichroic II enlarger it trips the ground switch on the socket.”

I presume that you mean that the circuit breaker in you building opens.

If so, there’s obviously a short circuit when the power supply is connected to the outlet, or as others have pointed out, a ground defect if you circuit is equipped with a GFI.

The Omega D Dichro II power supply or the Chromegatrol (power supply + voltage stabilizer + timer) both contain a 120v to 22.5v step-down transformer for the lamp circuit.

Make sure that the cord and plug don’t have any cuts that could short the conducting wire. I presume that you’ve already satisfied yourself that the outlet is not the cause.

If it shorts with both the standard power supply and the Chromegatrol, then they’re unliky to be the source of the short. The short is likely somewhere from the 6-blade connector that plugs into the back of the power supply or Chromegatrol on the end of the cable bundle to the head, inside the cable bundle (unlikely unless the bundle is kinked or cut), or somewhere inside the head.

The fan and the panel illuminator lamp operate on 120v. That circuit seems the most likely candidate for the short circuit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently rebuilt a Super Chromega Dichroic II to mount on my older DII chassis.

First place I'd look is the enlarger bulb socket.
    These are super easy to replace and readily available for cheap and most are deteriorating if they sit unused for some time.

It looks like a squareish porcelain socket. The bulb plugs into this socket via pins and the pins can shear easily.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is a GFI outlet it won't take much to make it pop. Could just be corrosion bridging some contacts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No corrosion needed, just some damp dust between hot and ground on a terminal strip will trip a GFI. It's also possible your GFI outlet needs to be replaced, they can get overly sensitive with age.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jeff,

Yes, I did try it on a different socket in another room. Same problem. I even turned off all of the electrical devices on my circuit and the same thing happened.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    This is not common to the Omega Dichro II power supply or the Chromegatrol.

About your comment,

“…every time I plug in my Super Chromega D Dichroic II enlarger it trips the ground switch on the socket.”

I presume that you mean that the circuit breaker in you building opens.

If so, there’s obviously a short circuit when the power supply is connected to the outlet, or as others have pointed out, a ground defect if you circuit is equipped with a GFI.

The Omega D Dichro II power supply or the Chromegatrol (power supply + voltage stabilizer + timer) both contain a 120v to 22.5v step-down transformer for the lamp circuit.

Make sure that the cord and plug don’t have any cuts that could short the conducting wire. I presume that you’ve already satisfied yourself that the outlet is not the cause.

If it shorts with both the standard power supply and the Chromegatrol, then they’re unliky to be the source of the short. The short is likely somewhere from the 6-blade connector that plugs into the back of the power supply or Chromegatrol on the end of the cable bundle to the head, inside the cable bundle (unlikely unless the bundle is kinked or cut), or somewhere inside the head.

The fan and the panel illuminator lamp operate on 120v. That circuit seems the most likely candidate for the short circuit.
    Thanks very much, Ian. The first thing I do will be to look at the 6-prong connector. I very much appreciate it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin