Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,981   Online: 825

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    The column on my LPL 7700 fouls my 16x20 Beard easel at some sizes. I'm thinking of taking the column off the baseboard and mounting it on a shelf fixed to the table so the easel'll slide under a little.

My DIY skills are... grim.

Any thoughts?
    Hey Frank & David
    David's is a good method if you can rotate the column, and have the space to the side.
    Another idea I've seen is where your bench is divided into two with a board that can float up and down between them. (the enlarger is fixed on bench behind the moveable board or on the wall). Useful for when you want to do really big prints just occasionally. Also it's good if there is limited space, and saves moving the enlarger for the extra biggies.
    Quite easy to set up (even for the dunce DIY'er like us).
    I've applied my best drawing skills to the diagram attached (btw it's a cross-section ... if you weren't sure).
    Last edited by John McCallum; 10-07-2004 at 05:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    my easels have extra rubber feet in the middle (not quite in the middle, just off center a bit) of them that allows you to hang them off the edge of the baseboard and still stay flat. You do have to be careful not to bump when inserting paper it as it will move easily. Otherwise, a suitably sized piece of MDF or Chipboard could be placed on the existing baseboard for the times when you need it. I'd grab a couple of suitable clamps (clamp to existing baseboard at the back) to ensure that doesn't go tumbling down when you put the easel on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, my 11x14 easel has those feet too, but wouldn't you know it, in the case that prompted this thread they didn't help. I unded up shimming the easel at the edge of my baseboard with old throw away 5x7's and taping the other end down to keep it still.

To continue the easel discussion, now that I'm doing more fiber, and hoping to do some larger prints, my 11x14 two blade easel seems to have some limitiations. I.e. the other day I wanted to print a 10x13 (to use an existing frame) on my 11x14 paper. In my mind I was going to print it in the middle of the paper (which would be very beneficial had this been fiber paper, for longevity etc.) but as you know with a two blade easel you get two fixed borders, roughly 1/4". I guess that most serious printes must use the four blade easels eh? This way they can leave ample space around the edge of their prints.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    The column on my LPL 7700 fouls my 16x20 Beard easel at some sizes. I'm thinking of taking the column off the baseboard and mounting it on a shelf fixed to the table so the easel'll slide under a little.

My DIY skills are... grim.

Any thoughts?
    If your wall is solid, rather than a partition type of material, then bolting the enlarger column to it will work very well. Some enlarger manufacturers sell them. They generally consist of a substantial angle wall bracket to which the column bolts and a second lighter stabilising bracket that fixes the column top to the wall. Some sort of mechanism to adjust the setup is incorporated also. Provided your wall is not subjected to vibration then this is the way to go. That's not to say that the base board can be left to rattle about. It's obviously got to stay aligned during exposure.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am having the same problem. I am drilling holes as we speak. I'm just going to bolt the damn thing to the counter.
    George

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin