Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,447   Online: 922

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wager123 View Post
    i would buy the RH designs unit it the best thing i ever did for my 500 set up it is right on and a real step up from the 500 c
    mitch
    It is. I recently acquired mine, and just today, have found for the first time real time to start exploring it. Great functions, like the densitometer, greyscale and calibration options.

However... there are still people out there using the original Ilford controllers, and I have used mine for years to much enjoyment. It is easy to use, and I have had good use of it and good results printing. OK, it is not as advanced as the RH Designs thing, but if it works, it works.

Also remember that not all issues are related to the controllers, the Service Manuals will be of help too for repairs to the 500S power supplies and the actual exposure heads with the lamps.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree the RH Designs unit looks very nice BUT I have two working CPM controllers and hope they will last for some time yet.

Now for some news. With Marco's suggestion I contacted Simon Galley at Ilford and a scanned copy of the CPM version of the user manual is now up the Ilford site. It's a big file but retains the color highlights.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=161

Thanks Simon and Graham at Ilford for the support.

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Now for some news. With Marco's suggestion I contacted Simon Galley at Ilford and a scanned copy of the CPM version of the user manual is now up the Ilford site. It's a big file but retains the color highlights.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/products/page.asp?n=161

Thanks Simon and Graham at Ilford for the support.

George
    Nice work! Now if the full Service Manual for the 500C units and older power supplies also finally turns up, that would be great.

By the way, I successfully downloaded the file from the Ilford website, so that is looking good.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford Multigrade 500 system - Use of "Programs"

hello folks
    Programs 1 -10 (0 - 9) on our Multigrade controller.
    Does anyone use a particular program for a particular paper? Coud you tell me which ones you use for which paper?
    I'm using program 1 for RC right now, but I 'm not sure how to test for different papers or for different processes. Could you tell me the procedure you use and give me an idea of what the programs already do and how you make them work for you?

thanks so much. Judy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Judy,

Download the newest version of the manual that Marco linked above.

It contains a detailed explanation of memory programming and usage.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford Multigrade 500 system - Use of the Controller's "Programs"

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Hi Judy,
    Download the newest version of the manual that Marco linked above.
    It contains a detailed explanation of memory programming and usage.
    - Leigh
    Hi Leigh
    My controller does not have a memory setting as it is the older model. My question is about the programs 0 - 9. The manual indicates that some are for special purposes, and I'm wondering if anyone has used a particular program for a brand of paper, e.g., I use Program 1 for Ilford Multigrade Glossy. Does anyone use one of the controller's programs for, say, Ilford fibre, or Seagull, or any of the other papers currently on the market? Thanks so much. Judy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you the serial number for the Multigrade 500C controller? From s/no. 5C13681 the press button controller is to be used for adjustment of the green (filtered that is) light to balance the possible inconsistency of the output of the 2 lamps.

On the base of my 500C there is a diagram depicting the varying degrees of (green) light intensity corresponding to the numbers on the press button, and the fixed output of blue light.

The manual includes a grey card which is required for the test procedure.

I must admit that I've never undertaken the testing involved.

As far as I understand this press button has nothing to do with differing paper responses.

If this is relevant post a response to this thread and I'll type the instructions up.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford Multigrade 500 system - Use of the Controller's "Programs"

Hi Ross, thanks for your response. Suggestions like yours have be made throughout this thread, and I did the tests to identify the correct program to be starting with for the paper we are currently using.
    It seems like no-one is using the programs for different papers types, so I'll do more testing to see if paper types are relevant to programs for my own use. I was just hoping someone could give me a head start with the paper types/program testing.
    Thanks so much. Judy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I may depart from the main thread--but taking a cue from the RH Designs vs Ilford controllers posts: I have both and one reason to buy the RH controller was that it may have disabled me if the aged Ilford one died. I then used the RH unit as a mainstay--when printing on Ilford papers.

Not so long ago a Sydney supplier began stocking Foma papers which were considerably cheaper than Ilford and pretty good quality.

So calibration of the RH unit for Foma became of interest. I e-mailed Chris Woodhouse who is the RH controller designer re calibration assistance some months ago and had no reply. I'm fairly hopeless in cooking up calibration without some help.

Any tips about what to do?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Chambers View Post
    If I may depart from the main thread--but taking a cue from the RH Designs vs Ilford controllers posts: I have both and one reason to buy the RH controller was that it may have disabled me if the aged Ilford one died. I then used the RH unit as a mainstay--when printing on Ilford papers.

Not so long ago a Sydney supplier began stocking Foma papers which were considerably cheaper than Ilford and pretty good quality.

So calibration of the RH unit for Foma became of interest. I e-mailed Chris Woodhouse who is the RH controller designer re calibration assistance some months ago and had no reply. I'm fairly hopeless in cooking up calibration without some help.

Any tips about what to do?
    Is this the Analyzer 500 you are talking about, or the Stop Clock 500?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin