Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,657   Online: 794

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Are you absolutely sure this needs replacement? Is there a broken piece missing? If not, like you already noted, the HA filters come in two pieces per bulb, so in effect, they are already "broken". That might not be an issue though, and unless there is a piece missing or the HA filter can no longer be held in place in this condition (IDK), I doubt one further breakage would influence its function.
    Well, it fell out of the enlarger head when I opened it.

On the right side of the head, one of the two pieces is intact and the other split down the middle. The two parts were floating around inside the head.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Edmund optics carries heat absorbing glass in various sizes. 51mm x 51mm is $13
    You mean the Schott KG Glass types listed here as heat absorbing glass?:

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlineca...productID=1934

One thing that is a little bit confusing is that Schott seems to make 4 grades of heat absorbing glass (KG1,2,3 and KG5). Looking at the transmission graphs, it seems the lower the number, the higher the transmission, but also the wider the transmission curve and the further it extends in the direction of near infrared.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kg1.gif 
Views:	6 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	36981

Name:	kg2.gif 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	36982

Name:	kg3.gif 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	36983

Name:	kg5.gif 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	36984

From http://www.optical-filters.com/heatabsorbing.html

And this graph from the Schott glass webpage:

Name:	Schott_KG_Glass.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	36991
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails filteroverview_shortpass_view_thmb_550.jpg  
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The glass Edmund sells is 3mm thick. The glass in the Ilford head is 2mm, in fact mine measured 1.8mm. It fits in a channel in a metal frame. I havn't measured then channel but I suspect you really need the 2mm.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While we are on the topic, anyone know a source for the color filters? Mine are OK for now, so it's more curiosity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure how your glass fits in the holder but being broken in two pieces may not be that much of a functional problem. For example, the heat absorbing glass in the 500W Bolex projector is 4 individual rectangular pieces.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My piece is 15m x 30mm x 2mm. I might be able to put it back in somehow - it's a clean break. Not sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    My piece is 15m x 30mm x 2mm. I might be able to put it back in somehow - it's a clean break. Not sure.
    Jeff that is the full size of the HA glass. On each side there are two pieces. First out from lamp are the two pieces of HA glass (forming a square) then the filter is one piece. Why the HA glass is in two pieces I have no idea. The metal frame that holds them is split in the middle and held together with two bolts. The lamp/filter assembly is held onto the back bracket by two bolts as well. They are screwed into bracket - there is no nut on the back to come loose, but there might be some washers and depending on the setup square tube which acts as a standoff.

Mine on the other hand is truly broken, and one side missing completely.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HA_003.JPG   HA_004.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mine is also broken - I have two pieces about 15x15, plus another 15x30 piece still in the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Mine is also broken - I have two pieces about 15x15, plus another 15x30 piece still in the enlarger.
    Sorry, sometimes hard to keep everything straight. It might be worth a try putting them back in --- but maybe not. Just had a look. The glass fits in grooves only on the sides, there doesn't seem to be much support on the top or bottom. I wonder if there is any type of glue that could be used and stand the heat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Sorry, sometimes hard to keep everything straight. It might be worth a try putting them back in --- but maybe not. Just had a look. The glass fits in grooves only on the sides, there doesn't seem to be much support on the top or bottom. I wonder if there is any type of glue that could be used and stand the heat.
    No worries.

I think I may have to try that if I fail to find a replacement. I'm still hopeful though that I will find the right part.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin