Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,904   Online: 930

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too am hopeful. On the off chance I just sent an email to RH Designs. They make a timer, maybe they know where the spare parts are.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We can hope, eh?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

DAP

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    While we are on the topic, anyone know a source for the color filters? Mine are OK for now, so it's more curiosity.
    In the US color filters can be obtained from Ross Tabacoff at RT photo repair (at least they could as of 2 years ago). I don't know how he obtained the stuff but he seems to have quite a bit of spare parts for the ilford 500 system (I bought a blue filter and a mixing box from him). Unfortunately, at the time, he did not have any heat shielding glass. His email was pretzelride@yahoo.com at the time I bought the spare parts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks - I'll give him a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I received a reply from RH Designs this morning. They suggested:

Your best bet is probably Lightwave:

http://www.lightwaveservicing.co.uk/

Or maybe MrCad

http://mrcad.co.uk/shop/home.php

As a start I've emailed lightwave....
    Last edited by George Nova Scotia; 07-15-2011 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lightwave replied back - nothing in stock there. Well no HA glass for the 500 anyway....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Shoot. We may have to have something custom cut.

Have you tried putting anything thicker in there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nope, the slot looks pretty tight. If I get a chance I'll pull one out later - the broken head I have is missing a few bolts anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay I took it apart. The first picture shows the assembly from the point of view of the lamp. You can see cracked piece of HA glass still in place. The second shows one half of the assembly, normally two bolts hold it together. The HA glass slot measures 2.5mm the dichro glass slot is about 1mm. The third picture shows the other side with the dichro glass in place. The fourth picture shows a piece of HA glass 33.5mm in dia that I pulled from an Omega C760 Dichro head - it sort of fits on top maybe a couple clips could be fashioned to hold it there. The last it a group shot. The C760 glass is 2mm thick. It almost could be made to fit but I'm not sure if it's tempered. From what I have read tempered glass is very difficult to cut and cutting/shaping destroys the temper near the edges. Maybe someone who knows glass can comment on the cracks in the rectangular piece and whether they indicate tempering.

I don't know if this helps much, but if you need any measurements it's living in a box on my desk right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500_001.JPG   500_002a.JPG   500_003.JPG   500_004.JPG   500_005a.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    The C760 glass is 2mm thick. It almost could be made to fit but I'm not sure if it's tempered. From what I have read tempered glass is very difficult to cut and cutting/shaping destroys the temper near the edges. Maybe someone who knows glass can comment on the cracks in the rectangular piece and whether they indicate tempering.
    The Ilford 500 manual says about the dichroics:

"The cut off frequencies of dichroic filters are affected by temperature, causing inconsistent results. To reduce this variation in transmission with temperature, the dichroic filters in the ILFOSPEED MULTIGRADE 500H enlarger head are tempered prior to use"

Now, correct me if I am wrong, from reading these Schott glass pages, I have the strong feeling Heat Absorbing (HA) glass, is actually just another type of dichroic filter glass with another spectral transmission pattern. So likely, the HA filters are tempered as well...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin