Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,114   Online: 1206

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is a page with a bunch of companies specializing in glass manufacture including heat absorbing glass. Maybe there is a useful link from there:

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/gl...4850602-1.html

Also interesting, this text from this page:

"Heat-absorbing glass contains controlled quantities of a ferrous iron admixture that absorbs much of the energy of the sun. Heat-absorbing glass is available in plate, heavy plate, sheet, patterned, tempered, wired, and laminated types. Heat-absorbing glass dissipates much of the heat it absorbs, but some of the heat is retained. Thus, heat-absorbing glass may become much hotter than ordinary plate glass. Because of its higher rate of expansion, heat- absorbing glass requires careful cutting, handling, and glazing. Sudden heating or cooling may induce edge stresses, which can result in failure if edges are improperly cut or damaged. Large lights made of heat-absorbing glass that are partially shaded or heavily draped are subject to higher working stresses and require special design consideration."
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Here is a page with a bunch of companies specializing in glass manufacture including heat absorbing glass. Maybe there is a useful link from there:

http://www.thomasnet.com/products/gl...4850602-1.html
    Interesting. I'm sure they have large minimum orders though.

Edmund Optics just responded - they can only get what is listed on their site. They claim you can cut it normally though. Unfortunately, it's all too thick.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to keep track, I've just emailed Newport Glass to see what they can do.

I may have possible solution for my second head. Looks like it would be pretty easy to hold the round filters I have in place with a simple loop of wire. I have a couple C760 heads that would be donors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 500_006.JPG  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've seen the Omega glass available for around $20. That might be a reasonable option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    I may have possible solution for my second head. Looks like it would be pretty easy to hold the round filters I have in place with a simple loop of wire. I have a couple C760 heads that would be donors.
    Good thinking! Looks like a viable solution how you fixed it. It nicely covers the entire frame. Only possible issue is the expansion of the glass during heating up, but I guess this is no real problem considering the setup.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting that Edmund said the HA glass could be cut - that would indicate it's not tempered, but it could be cut and mounted much like the round piece I have but better. Copper wire should be soft enough to hold a piece in place without putting much stress on it. The piece I have doesn't lay as flat as I'd like, it needs to be a tiny bit smaller.

I've received a response from Newport Glass - they've asked for a sample so they can check it on the spectrometer and get a good match. I'll send them what I can and see what happens. Might take a week or so for it to get to them. I'll update here when I hear back.

George

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The lady that emailed me could also have just been wrong about cutting it. Not sure there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Odyssey Sales in the UK has some parts still (probably pulled from working systems I would imagine):

"£35 for heat absorbing glass 15 x 30x 2mm + £35 for each of the colour filters."

I've also found someone in the US that has parts as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    Interesting that Edmund said the HA glass could be cut - that would indicate it's not tempered, but it could be cut and mounted much like the round piece I have but better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    The lady that emailed me could also have just been wrong about cutting it. Not sure there.
    I have seen both tempered and non-tempered heat absorbing glass filters advertised on more than one page. For example, if you look at this Hoya page:

http://www.hoyaoptics.com/color_filt..._absorbing.htm

you will notice they talk about "'Strengthened glass', produced by tempering processes, may also be supplied", suggesting they have both types of products for sale.

Not sure how vital tempered glass is in a high powered enlarger head like the Ilford 500H, or if it could be swapped with non-tempered without major issues. Maybe Ian C can comment on that. Since the filter is very close to lamp, I can imagine issues.
    My website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Odyssey Sales in the UK has some parts still (probably pulled from working systems I would imagine):

"£35 for heat absorbing glass 15 x 30x 2mm + £35 for each of the colour filters."

I've also found someone in the US that has parts as well.
    Hmm, £35 each x 4 would end up being over $200CDN with shipping, taxes, duty could well be over $300. That is about what I paid for a complete system on a Focomat IIC.

I've moved that head to Beseler 45 - I'd like to fix the older one but at that cost it's going to be hard to justify. Guess I'm just spoiled with current prices on used equipment .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin