Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,658   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Source for Ilford 500 head heat absorbing glass

The heat absorbing glass (at least, I think that's what it is) has broken in transit. Is it easy to replace this? It's a pretty small piece - there are actually two pieces per bulb, and only one of these broke on one side. It's about the size of a microscope slide, maybe smaller.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You too. I have one with broken HA glass as well. They are 30x15x2mm. I could use a few pieces as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    The heat absorbing glass (at least, I think that's what it is) has broken in transit. Is it easy to replace this? It's a pretty small piece - there are actually two pieces per bulb, and only one of these broke on one side. It's about the size of a microscope slide, maybe smaller.
    I don't know if this link will be any help http://www.ilfordphoto.com/photocomm...?TOPIC_ID=7165
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most HA glass for the Beselers and Omega is much thicker. I also believe it's tempered and has to be cut to size before it is tempered. I tried KBH with no luck. One place I've found might be http://www.newportglass.com/ but I haven't contacted them yet and know nothing about them but it looks like they might do small orders.

I ended up finding a new head and decided to use it. I had to remove the lamp assembly to change the spacer from one to the other so it should not be too difficult to replace the glass. The filter assembly is held together with a couple bolts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It’s far more likely to break from thermal shock than physical trauma. If the HA filter gets too hot it can break. Any blow to the head strong enough to damage the HA filter should be obvious to the outside of the unit.

The Surplus Shed has small HA glass filters that are reasonably priced. Type “heat absorbing glass” into the subject line to see what’s available.

http://www.surplusshed.com/search.cfm

You could also buy a larger HA glass for a Beseler or Omega enlarger on eBay fairly cheaply and cut what you need. These show up often for modest prices. The Beseler HA glass filters I've measured are 1/8” in thickness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all. Can anyone confirm if cutting down a larger piece will work or not?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    when my glass was broken or lost ( omega d3v )
    i went to a glass place nearby to me, he gave me (sold me)
    another piece. from what he told me, it is a type of glass that
    most glass places have. this was 25 years ago, unless things have
    changed try a local glass place ...

john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Edmund optics carries heat absorbing glass in various sizes. 51mm x 51mm is $13

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Focal Point in Florida may be a good source, I use them for all my enlarger glass

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bannow View Post
    Are you absolutely sure this needs replacement? Is there a broken piece missing? If not, like you already noted, the HA filters come in two pieces per bulb, so in effect, they are already "broken". That might not be an issue though, and unless there is a piece missing or the HA filter can no longer be held in place in this condition (IDK), I doubt one further breakage would influence its function.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin