Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,530   Posts: 1,543,967   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Durst CLS500, getting started

I've been using my Durst Laborator 1200 with CLS 500 head for a few weeks now. So I have a few questions.

When I change magenta, yellow or cyan, how much must I change the exposure time to get the same exposure as without filter? For example if I add 10 magenta.

When I add density filter, how much must I change exposure? For example if I add 10 density.

When composing the picture on the easel, what is the normal procedure? Adjust height, turning the handle next to the focusing arm and at last adjusting the focus?

All the numbers on the column, what do you use them for? taking notes on which height you use for a spesific print size with a spesific lens and negative size? Or can I find this info somwhere so I don't need to take notes?

So far the prints look OK after a lot of testprints, but knowing more about my questions will improve my workflow and results a lot.
    Last edited by Grainy; 07-15-2011 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Is this mounted onto a Laborator 1200?
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes it is

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are you using the color filters for black and white printing then, in place of graded filters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. So far I have tried only to increase magenta in order to get more contrast. But then I had to make a couple of new testprints again.

For example if 10 magenta equals xx percent more exposure then it would be easier.

Do you recommend to by graded filters instead?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    Yes. So far I have tried only to increase magenta in order to get more contrast. But then I had to make a couple of new testprints again.

For example if 10 magenta equals xx percent more exposure then it would be easier.

Do you recommend to by graded filters instead?
    I have a chart that I use to determine the different paper grades. It's included in with all Ilford paper. It has roughly the same density for every filter setting. It works pretty well for me. There are methods of fine tuning those settings, but this should be a good starting point.

http://www.estudiocasanueva.com.ar/archivo/Imgivrc.pdf

Look on page 4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. If I understand the chart correctly it says that using the two filter method will give me almost the same exposure.

But what about one filter? "The first table titled “SINGLE FILTER METHOD”
    requires technicians to modify exposure when changing
    filtration." Technicians to change exposure?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "technicians" are the brains behind the hands operating the equipment.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quite funny Why not just write "singel filter method requires to change the exposure when changing filtration"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    10 magenta = 1/3 stop
    30 magenta = full stop
    You will rarely need cyan
    O settings will be a grade two setting fyi.
    Yellow is minimal change
    I only used the Nuetral Density filter in rare occasions
    You can only use two filters at a time, using three just adds nuetral density.
    Yes do adjustment to crops as you say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    I've been using my Durst Laborator 1200 with CLS 500 head for a few weeks now. So I have a few questions.

the numbers on the columms are for your reference to height, old days we would use them for magnification factor formulas when using a lot of negs in a day but for your purposes you can ignore those numbers.

When I change magenta, yellow or cyan, how much must I change the exposure time to get the same exposure as without filter? For example if I add 10 magenta.

When I add density filter, how much must I change exposure? For example if I add 10 density.

When composing the picture on the easel, what is the normal procedure? Adjust height, turning the handle next to the focusing arm and at last adjusting the focus?

All the numbers on the column, what do you use them for? taking notes on which height you use for a spesific print size with a spesific lens and negative size? Or can I find this info somwhere so I don't need to take notes?

So far the prints look OK after a lot of testprints, but knowing more about my questions will improve my workflow and results a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin