Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,680   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Durst L1000 broken height adjester knob

Hi

Does anyone know how i could fix the height adjuster knob on the Durst L1000 - mine snapped on the inside casing where the metal rod is attached to over the weekend .

I have managed to improvise with a clamp tool thing which i found in my late dads tool box.

Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you post a few pics? If I can see what's broke, maybe I can suggest a fix. I have a CE 1000, but I thing the mechanical bits abr quite different.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ok will do once i am back at home

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The attached are front and underside view of the height adjuster knob( the centre bit on the underside cracket and hence why it fell off)

The side view shows the metal rod that the knob was fixed to (can see all thenplastic left on it)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails front view.jpg   knob underside.jpg   side view.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you mate the knob to the shaft easily, and are there any pieces missing?
    If the plastic on the shaft is not cracked, scrub the glaze off with fine sandpaper, clean it with Ronsonol lighter fluid. Clean the inside of the knob with the lighter fluid, let dry and use JB Weld epoxy to glue it back together. You will need a piece of wood to support the knob for a day until the epoxy cures.
    I'm not sure if the knob was a press fit on the shaft or if it was molded in place.

Your other option is to break the plastic off the shaft, measure the diameter, it might be 6 or 8mm, definitely a metric size, and find a replacement one that is held on with set screws.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    .....break the plastic off the shaft, measure the diameter, it might be 6 or 8mm, definitely a metric size, and find a replacement one that is held on with set screws.
    This would be your easiest option. Ideally find the exact replacement knob. Or find any knob to fit the metal shaft.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hrmm.... Got a Durst column here that I've been nicking bits off. Will have to look in the morning and see if it has a handwheel similar to the pictures.

Edit: Handwheel is attached to a 6mm dia shaft, 92.8mm long (possibly from an M300 series). If it is of use, yours for the postage.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 07-19-2011 at 12:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It doesn't look like there's enough there to glue the knob back in place.
    If paul_c5X4 doesn't have a knob for you take a look at mcmaster-carr you would need the diameter of the shaft and a size you would have in mind for the knob. I don't know if they have anything with a flip out lever.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob

i measure the bit of the metal that is visible on the thrird image it is 8-9mm in diameter (this is without taking into account all the plastic still left on the metal) . The inside part of the knob (see middle image) the plastic shaft that the metal went into is the bit that broke over (guess age affected it) therefore there is nothing for the metal tube to go into now or hold onto. The inside depth of the knob is 2.3cm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by connie2 View Post
    i measure the bit of the metal that is visible on the thrird image it is 8-9mm in diameter (this is without taking into account all the plastic still left on the metal) .
    A few questions for you:-

• How are you measuring the diameter of the shaft, with a plastic ruler ?
    • Are you mechanically minded and able to remove the shaft without harm ?
    • Location ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin