Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,150   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.homebrewit.com/beer-bottles.php

This place has a variety of cool bottles; including amber Grolsch bottles as well as amber plastic P.E.T. bottles. Will check out Porters too, thanks.

Does anyone have an empty bottle of beer and a pair of calipers handy? Having trouble finding the inside diameter via the interwebs...
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The corks and rubber stoppers come in an assortment of sizes. they are tapered so an exact measurement isn't necessary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would favor plastic bottles over glass, the prospect of dropping and glass, wether full of liquid or not, in the darkroom is not pleasant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glass is better for the chemicals, though I'm sure plastic is certainly good enough for 99% of situations. I'm not that clumsy I guess... and they'll be no more than 36 oz. bottles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Went to an evening concert at the art museum in Akron, OH. They had Bud Light in 16 oz amber PET bottles with screw caps. You don't have to drink the beer, just save the bottles. I'm still looking for a retail source of these fine storage bottles. hic!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I second the Groelsch..... my darkroom looks like a brewery. And we had a great time getting them!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Glass is better for the chemicals, though I'm sure plastic is certainly good enough for 99% of situations. I'm not that clumsy I guess... and they'll be no more than 36 oz. bottles.
    You don't use developer by the jeroboam?

On a related note, I use Mason jars for some of my chemistry. For small-volume concentrates, the half-pint size works well---somewhere I picked up the habit of calling them "Georgia wineglasses". They're fairly cheap, they come with lids that seal, and they have wide mouths that are easy to get a syringe into.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your local homebrew wine and beer supply store will have a variety of tapered rubber stoppers. You'll be able to find a fit for any bottle you have. Be sure to buy the solid ones, and not the drilled ones.

The flip top Grolsch bottles really are nice. Also, I like the Fullers 1845 and ESB bottles. They are 500 ml, and very heavy glass. They aren't flip top though. You'll need the rubber stopper.

For half gallon sized brown glass of nice heavy weight, use brew pub growlers.

Many beers are sold in 22 ounce bottles. Those work great too.

WIne and champagne bottles come in 750ml and 1 liter size.

It's easy to get a variety of different sized brown bottles at your local liquor or grocery store.

Golsch Beer comes in a nice dark bottle with reusable well sealed top.

I probably have the spelling off as I have not bought any in a while. It is very good european beer. I was prejudiced against beer for most of my life, then I found it was not beer I did not like, it was American beer I did not like. Still we don`t drink much, buying a six pack or two for the holiday guests.

They make a nice drink that comes in a square bottle imported from Scotland. Now that is good stuff.

Or just call up Specialty Bottle Co. and they will send you whatever size and quantity you want. Get the caps with cone seals inside and clean the bottle lip before sealing up. Buy twice the caps as bottles as that are what gets lost and breaks. They will send sample bottles and caps. Best $200 I ever spent for my darkroom. Second was a water filter and air filter.
    Last edited by Ronald Moravec; 07-19-2011 at 03:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed a good number of rubber stoppers at my local hardware store. Any reason to believe that these wouldn't be appropriate for various chemicals? I bet they'd be great, but figured I'd ask.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin