Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 911

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cheers! Prost! Kanpai! All Your Chemical Container Needs Fulfilled

People are always asking about solutions for keeping chemicals and how to get the most life out of their processing solutions.

From cheap wine bags to marbles in your bottles to canned air to nitrogen to juice containers... the list goes on. The wisest and simplest advice is to move your solutions into progressively smaller bottles and always fill them to the top.

It occured to me that I have a steady stream of lab grade brown amber bottles always cycling through my home... BEER.

Now, it's not that steady of a stream, I don't want anybody to worry about me afterall...

But after a weekend like this last one, which saw many a good friend come over to imbibe and make merry, I probably put a life time supply of chem-bottles in the recycling bin.

The key is to get the labels off, and this is most easily accomplished by soaking them in hot soapy water and later scraping it with a butter knife, followed up by a scotch-brite pad.

There's a wide variety of brown bottles in your liquor store and in all different sizes. If you're adventurous, you can pick your beverages based on the bottles they come in; so it's a win-win for the adventurous and the utility-minded. Alternatively, for you tee-totallers out there, the same logic can be applied to your grocery store.

My question is: What's a recommended source for corks?

Also, what are your favorite "craft" beers?

Cheers!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I use mineral water 750ml bottles and seal em with a wine bottle vacuum sealer, $10 easy solution

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Grolsch bottles are very nice! They come with caps that can be locked down.

Also, you cannot buy beer, you can only rent it.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh yeah, Grolsch bottles are very nice; good call.

And to think, I thought I only rented a home...

As for corks, I'm definitely thinking of rubber stoppers, not actual cork.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rubber stoppers and corks are available from Carolina Science. http://www.carolina.com

http:www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about caps that are designed to work with those bottles? There is also a crimping tool listed on the same page:

http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Bottle-Ca...=pd_sim_misc_2

My only concern would be with beer consumers in your household. Developer has the right color after all...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jeffrey!

Capping would be a questionable practice I fear, for the very reason you state about confusing it for the real deal, and also since you'd have to recap it every time or suffer a poor seal.

No one in my househould will mistake the two, but I can see the danger. I store all my chemicals in a big rubbermaid tub under my darkroom sink, and label them judiciously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum381/...ml#post1157995

Find one of these at your local wine and spirits shop. When i was younger, we bought one quart bottles of beer. Back then they came in reclosable brown bottles.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My issue with that is simply that I might have 10 bottles of solution at any given time, and I can't afford enough of those dedicated wine-stoppers to cap 'em all. Beer bottles and cheap bottle stoppers seem like a life-time solution for less than $15.

But, I do think it's an elegant solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last time I looked,Porters Camera still sells the one gallon bladder dispenser boxes for cheap. Might be worth contacting them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin