Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,233   Online: 831

Shooter
    Large Format

Beseler 45V-XL focusing friction adjustment?

Hello,

I recently acquired a 45V-XL enlarger. I would like the focusing mechanism to feel a bit smoother. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the gears, but there does seem to be more friction than I would like. I have verified the focus lock lever is "unlocked". Is there a friction adjustment, or can I very slightly lubricate a surface or two? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, every metal to metal sliding part should have some lube, or it will wear out eventually. You can use common vaseline as a lube for the focusing mechanism, etc. To quote an old hair care ad, "A little dab will do ya." Just make it a very thin film.
    Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I did some fiddling and did as you suggested, but used a tiny film of 3 in 1 oil. I also sanded the sliding focusing rail that the focusing wheel bears against. There was some crusty gunge that built up due to inactivity. Also let out the set screw that keeps pressure on the focusing drive wheel. All the above has helped, but I think the best prescription will be to use it. The enlarger appears to either never been used, or used very lightly, then stored for a long time. So there are some creaky knees to address, nothing that seems too serious.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin