Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,693   Online: 847

Shooter
    Multi Format

Timer plug in Durst EST 300 - CLS 300 color head

Hello everybody, I have a Durst 184 with a CLS 300 color head. The head is fed by the EST300 power supply . The power supply has 3 sockets: the mains, the cable to the head and a third socket saying "timer", which I don't know how to put to use.
    I would like to connect a timer to the enlarger but the high absorbtion (8A) prevent me to use "normal" timers that are able to switch max. 4A . So I guess this "timer" socket can help to handle this power with a small potential free contact, but the fact that the socket has the same shape as a computer one where you put the mains cord in make me suspicious as I don't want to destroy anything.
    I cannot find any diagram anywhere, maybe someone knowing something about this timer socket can help me in some way....
    Thanks!
    Roberto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone has an EST300 for sale on ebay.it complete with pictures of the inside. It looks like the lamp switch controls an internal relay like the other Durst power supplies. So any timer powered from the mains and connected to the timer socket will just switch the relay instead of the front panel lamp/timer switch. The Durst power supply for my CLS450 head works the same way.

Edit: You cant test how it works by plugging in a power cord to the timer socket and short the hot and neutral pins together. If the lamp lights up, you would need a special timer. If nothing happens, you need a normal timer that supplies mains voltage to the timer socket.
    Last edited by Bob-D659; 07-23-2011 at 08:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Someone has an EST300 for sale on ebay.it complete with pictures of the inside. It looks like the lamp switch controls an internal relay like the other Durst power supplies. So any timer powered from the mains and connected to the timer socket will just switch the relay instead of the front panel lamp/timer switch. The Durst power supply for my CLS450 head works the same way.
    Ok that's what I was guessing. And make sense too since there are few timers on the market able to switch 2000w directly.
    I was reluctant in doing any short as I did not know if that was a power source or inlet. Since the prongs are male type I would guess there is always zero potential and therefore the logical functioning is the one you mentioned: any timer output hooked to the EST300 timer socket I believe would do the job.
    I have put a meter on the two main prongs of the socket and it shows zero potential in all the working situation, it is very likely it is an AC relay that act as the front switch "lamp" does...
    Still I am a bit in fear of connecting 220V on that socket ... it would be nice if someone had the electrical diagram...
    Thanks indeed for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You will never find mains power on a male socket on a piece of equipment. That Belden style male socket is very common on all electronic equipment. I've never seen it used for anything except mains voltage input. The TRA450 supply I have has the same type of socket for input from the timer, it also has a socket to supply power to the timer. Why they didn't put one on that supply, I don't know. I have diagrams for the three different versions of the TRA 450, but they are not much help.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The timer input on the L1840 system will accept a range of trigger voltages like 90v to 220v. This voltage is isolated from the rest of the circuit and does not actually power the bulb. I suspect the CLS300 may be similar so just plug the output (that would normally power an enlarger lamp) of any timer into that socket.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, very helpful...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin