Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,169   Online: 802

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    With out further inspection it looks like fog as if the inner core weren't installed in the tank. It sounds like an awful long pre-soak for color film, but if it never gave you problems before, it shouldn't now. The inner part of the reel would be the outer part of the spool, did you wind it tightly out of the camera? Could it be fogged before you even load it in the tank?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't see why it would have happened from the camera,I remove the film in a darkbag. I used a plastic jobo reel with the film wound up to the red tab. How long do you normally presoak for?I thought 3 minutes was standard.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For color film I use PE's recommendation of a 30 second pre-soak, including a 10 second drain time, then repeating with a second 30 second pre-soak. This is to get the film up to temperature before the developer. Kodak recommends against any pre-soak with color film, but I just can't bring myself to skip it completely.

As far as your issues go, I'm just spitballing ideas.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

C 41 is the hardest of all films to develop because of short times and high temp.

It should be obvious there is not enough chemistry if the inner wraps are not developing.

I never could get the small reels and tanks to work with C41, Then I got the 2500 tanks with the big reels. The film only makes 4/5 wraps and never goes near the center.

Make sure the tank is turning full speed when you dump the developer in and keep it high for 30 sec.

Even if you have only 1 film in a two reel tank, there needs to be enough developer for two or it does not reach inner wraps.

I never use a presoak. IT IS NOT IN ANY INSTRUCTIONS. It inhibits the free absorption of developer which is critical for a short process.

1520 is a small diameter tank. 120 film is wide so it counts for two. In theory 4 oz is sufficient for one roll of 35 mm or 250 cc for a roll of 120. I can make it work with B&W and E6. Never with C41. I bought the 2500 tanks and wide reels and all was well.

I would hope your 120 is not 220 which will never work in the small tank.

You should run the tank and film empty to temper it to 38 deg c or 100 F . This takes 5 minutes. EMPTY.
    Last edited by Ronald Moravec; 08-01-2011 at 02:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Look again at the roll he has hanging up. It isn't blank at the bottom end, it is fogged. If it were blank I would agree that he didn't have enough solution in the tank. Since it is fog, there must be another reason.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the film also looks fogged along the right hand edge.

Even stranger the frame edge of each negative looks like it runs along the left hand edge of the film. What camera are you using - in over 25 years of working in labs (plus 15 years of being a camera technician) I don't remember seeing a film with a frame so far over to one edge..
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    this particular roll was used in a diana. it seems to be a tendency for fuji films only, even in my lubitel. strange. every time i have developed without a presoak i have had extremely patchy dev. this is the same whether im doing c41, xpro or even black and white. i cant bring myself to ditch the process entirely. i may knock it down from 3 min to 2 x 30sec washes as suggested and see how that goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Look again at the roll he has hanging up. It isn't blank at the bottom end, it is fogged. If it were blank I would agree that he didn't have enough solution in the tank. Since it is fog, there must be another reason.
    That's what I saw.

I suspect the light trap in the developing tank.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hmmm, maybe i better inspect the tank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the bottom of the roll in the picture the end of the film (last frames)? If so, I would suspect the end paper not being pulled tight, or a camera back opening. If it is the tank, I wonder if the internal lid funnel was loose, or the center column left out?
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin