Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,454   Online: 961

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently went through this and came to the same conclusion as the OP. I started doing hybrid in 1998, probably before the word was used in this context. In 2005 I bought a new computer, printer and scanner for probably $2500. Early last year, in order to take full control of the process I decided I had to go either all digital or all analog. Partly because that equipment was already becoming obsolete, I priced out a complete replacement including purchase of a full-frame digital vs medium format camera. It came out to $4k-8k for digital compared to less than $1k for analog. At the volume I shoot, that will buy film and chemicals for the rest of my life.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "At the volume I shoot, that will buy film and chemicals for the rest of my life."

That assumes today's range of film, chemistry and paper will be available in the not-so-distant future--much less 5-10 years down the line. Look at what's been lost in just the last 5 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    "At the volume I shoot, that will buy film and chemicals for the rest of my life."

That assumes today's range of film, chemistry and paper will be available in the not-so-distant future--much less 5-10 years down the line. Look at what's been lost in just the last 5 years.

I will go with "At the volume I shoot, that will buy film and chemicals for the rest of my life." simply because a 60 MegaPixel Hasselblad back which does not even cover the focal plane costs $50,000US. Do you have any idea how much film I could buy, send out for custom processing and printing before I get anywhere near $50,000US? If I did buy that digital back, I would have to buy a much bigger and faster computer, a system of raid drives, expensive software including Photo$hop, a high end printer to make appropriate quality prints, and megadollars in ink cartridges.

As far as
    Look at what's been lost in just the last 5 years
    , how about looking at what has been gained in the last five years in new and better emulsions.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi LarryP,
    Welcome to the Analog Photo Users Group (APUG).
    Last edited by BradS; 07-28-2011 at 04:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Analog...as in NOT digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi larry

in the end it depends what you want and are most efficient at doing ...
    if you are a good darkroom person and can make halfway decent prints
    then darkroom work is the way to go (unless you NEED a lab to make them)
    if you are more comfortable doing the other way, and have a decent lab
    that can crank out light jet prints, than that way is the way to go ...
    i wouldn't waste your time with the ink, way too expensive and wasteful.

in the end it really depends on what you want, what YOU are most comfortable making or having made, and what you can afford ...

plenty of people ... some, even here on apug, use a lab make prints for them.
    owners of two of the best labs around are active members here on apug.

good luck ( and welcome ! )

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-28-2011 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I will go with "At the volume I shoot, that will buy film and chemicals for the rest of my life." simply because a 60 MegaPixel Hasselblad back which does not even cover the focal plane costs $50,000US. Do you have any idea how much film I could buy, send out for custom processing and printing before I get anywhere near $50,000US? If I did buy that digital back, I would have to buy a much bigger and faster computer, a system of raid drives, expensive software including Photo$hop, a high end printer to make appropriate quality prints, and megadollars in ink cartridges.

As far as , how about looking at what has been gained in the last five years in new and better emulsions.
    Please, not ANOTHER digital-vs-analog pissing contest.

My only point is that the status quo won't stand. A handful of new films, yes; but also a big cull of E6 emulsions, b&w papers, C-41 materials, lost pro labs(decimation of reasonably good cheap 35mm dev/print services, too), scarce E6 processing and higher prices/reduced availability for what's left.

Shooter
    35mm

Considering that with digital one has to spend all the money first, it can be said that, with that money, one can buy 40 years of film and chemistry supply, a dedicated freezer, and be tranquil for the rest of his life
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aside from cost, there are also intangibles. Do you like working in a darkroom or working on a computer? Personally, I despise the latter, but the former is at least tolerable most of the time, and often quite fun!

Either way, you have to process film, which is that part that I find to be the biggest pain in the neck.

The way I view it, it works better for me to just shoot digital most of the time that I want a digital output.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do hybrid (dev at home for B&W) and scan and then send files away to print. My feeling is that it is more expensive than traditional, but I never got very good at traditional printing and my desire for doing it isn't very great. So I pay more for working the way that I feel most comfortable. I do wish I had more time and energy to devote to traditional printing though as I find the results very appealing!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

No, it assumes that *a* range of film, chemistry and paper will be available. At my age, 5-10 years really is a not-so-distant future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin