Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 837

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help with Peak 1 Grain Focuser

I bought a used Peak Model 1 Grain Focuser. I got it for cheaper than expected because the mirror has a lot of micro surface scratches. No problem - I bought the replacement mirror from B&H.

However, in attempting to change the mirror, I have encountered a problem. I can't get the old mirror out! I'm assuming that I would just unscrew the top four screws and pop the old mirror out - but those screws just won't budge. I've tried and tried each of them and now I'm just running the risk of stripping the heads.

Has anyone here ever changed the mirror before? Am I doing something incorrectly? Anyone have any advice / tricks / helpful suggestions for me?

Thank you!!

Shooter
    35mm
    I am making the assumption that the screws are metal of course but if so try soaking the screw area in release oil or WD40( that's what it is called in the U.K.). Be patient and leave it to soak overnight as a minimum then try again. If they still won't budge re-soak and leave overnight again. Given time that stuff will release practically anything. Avoid stripping the screw heads at all costs.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Pentaxuser.

I've applied WD40, but in this case I don't know if it will do much good. The screws just don't seem like they want to budge in the slightest.

I'll keep reapplying WD40 and keep checking - but I'd love to hear from anyone if they've ever actually changed the mirror out on their Peak Focusers. It seems absurd that the screws would be this tough to undo for a piece of equipment where replacement parts are readily available. (I took off the door that covers the mirror in 2 seconds and that had much tinier screws).

If anyone can give me some specific advice, I would so greatly appreciate it - this is one of the last things I want to get done in setting up my darkroom after many years of not having one. (btw - I'm so super excited about that!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have an answer for you, but I do have a question.

Is there any chance that for some strange reason the screws have a reverse thread?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got a similar unit, Micromega. One of the four screws on the face responded to normal unscrewing thread No. 1 Phillips. But there are two spring clips on the back side holding up the mirror, which I think would fall down if unscrewed. The screw holding each clip is also a regular thread Phillips and the clips are not cinched down all the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I've got a similar unit, Micromega. One of the four screws on the face responded to normal unscrewing thread No. 1 Phillips. But there are two spring clips on the back side holding up the mirror, which I think would fall down if unscrewed. The screw holding each clip is also a regular thread Phillips and the clips are not cinched down all the way.
    I agree, out through the bottom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Out through the bottom...it worked!!

I knew coming and asking here was the best thing I could do.

I had originally played with one of the clasps on the bottom and got one out, but it seemed like it didn't do anything - it looked like the bottom was one complete formed piece of metal. Got both clasps loose and pushed the mirror out the bottom - there was a black plate under the mirror which made it look like it was all one piece with the base.

Ah, wonderful. I am so very, very happy!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Good for you Hiernst!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin