Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,645   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

Try blix and if that does not work the only thing left that I can think of is Potassium Dichromate and Sulfuric Acid. If that does not work, it is not Silver. in that case I suggest concentrated NaOH mixed with concentrated Na2SO3. It must be Sulfur from a fix or blix that went bad.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have the formulas for Kodak TC-1 and TC-3. TC-1 contains potassium dichromate and sulfuric acid and TC-3 is very similar to the current Kodak cleaner, but less expensive. I may try that. I have 5 20x24 drums and several smaller drums that all have this dull gray staining, so I would like to get them cleaned out.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Dicrhomate cleaner will work until it turns green.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about this? http://www.tetenaluk.com/shop/exargent.html
    I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if it works.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had an old Ciba drum with the same problem and tried a ton of things with no real results. I finally decided to do nothing since the film/oxidation on it had no bearing on the output of my print. I might have tried a little harder to remove the staining if I were going to sell the drum, but I wasn't selling it. I'd say if you're not selling it then just buy yourself some very thick sunglasses so you can't see the stain. Just joking of course, but you get the drift. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just as an afterthought, I have been using my Jobo drums for - well, pracitcally forever, at least 20 years or so...

And, I have no staining or discoloration in them at all.

The processes include B&W, C-41 and RA4 along with E-6 and Ektaprint 3 and Ektaprint 2.

I wonder why you all are having problems.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    PE, that's my experience too. I've used my Jobo drums extensively since 1988 with no deposits. I never used anything but a water rinse.

Possibly the drums were used for selenium intensification of films. That will leave a stubborn, somewhat shiny silver deposit on Patterson trays.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nothing is on the Jobo drums I have, even the old used ones, but these Chromega drums have quite a bit of build-up. I suspect they are silver stains from RA-4 since that is the process they are most used for and all my used drums exhibit it, regardless of where they came from. The previous owners may not have kept them as clean as they should between uses, Ron.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

The blix step, when used properly, should leave no silver stain as it is designed to remove all silver. This is another puzzle to me.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It may not be silver. I don't know what it is, but it is very stubborn. My wife thinks it's hard water, but my drums come from several different locations, usually as a miscellaneous item in a bulk purchase of used stuff. I may try "Lime Away" while I wait for my TC-1 chemicals to arrive just to make her happy. The last thing I may try, if no chemical solution is found, is scrubbing with a mild abrasive, but I really do not want to risk removing material.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin