Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,666   Online: 808

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I bought some Cibachrome tubes that have stains that are permanent. I'd be willing to bet that Greg Davis' tubes were used for Cibachrome/Ilfochrome.

The stains don't seem to affect RC prints.
    Yup, that's my guess also since I had stain just like that in my old Ciba drum and never could get it out. Like I said in my post above, I just bite my lip and use it the way it was. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I nearly forgot to upload a photo of my "filthy" Cibachrome drums. Here it is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ciba tube-stained.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's what it looks like. I checked my other drums and it appears that only two have this stuff in it, and they are both from the same purchase. I'm still going to try the tray cleaner formulas, and if they don't remove it, then I know it won't bother my prints in RA-4.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak TC-1 and TC-3 tray cleaner formulas did not remove the stains. If anyone knows of a solution or cleaner that removes ciba/ilfochrome residue from drums, please chime in.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg:

1) As I understand it, some of the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome chemistry is caustic and powerful;
    2) I've considered it possible that the discolouration in my tube(s) is not residue, but rather evidence of abrasion to the surface - i.e. there is nothing there to contaminate prints, but rather the surface just isn't smooth.

Can you scrape any of the apparent residue off with a fingernail?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gregory, I bought some drums a while back and they looked exactly like yours. I tried to clean them with a few things, even using a rough pad, but they remained the same. I would guess that what we are seeing is oxidized plastic or something similar. I plan to just use them as is. If your prints aren't affected, just leave them alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If all else fails, maybe the drums have been partly destroyed by the chemistry.

Ciba / Ilfochrome chemistry is not caustic, but rather it is exceptionally acidic which may be etching the drums.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't know if it will work on Ilfochrome stains but I used this for C-41 stains on a roller transport processor I bought and it worked well. It's potent smelling stuff. Use nitrile gloves and use it outdoors if you can.

http://www.climaxdigital.com/hydra_blitz.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If all else fails, maybe the drums have been partly destroyed by the chemistry.

Ciba / Ilfochrome chemistry is not caustic, but rather it is exceptionally acidic which may be etching the drums.

PE
    I should no better. When I used the word "caustic" I was really thinking "strong and potentially harmful".

Of course, it really means alkaline, strong and potentially harmful, and PE is correct that it certainly isn't alkaline.
    Matt

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since it's relevant, I'll bump this thread. I have a Unicolor drum here with a dull yellow/gray/white residue lining the inside walls. It easily scrapes off clean with a fingernail. Any ideas what this can be?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin