Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,969   Online: 737

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Identifying Omega 4x5 enlarger

Sorry if this question seems stupid ...

A few months ago I bought a bunch of darkroom gear for putting together a darkroom and I am finally getting to it.

One of the pieces was an Omega 4x5 variable condenser enlarger:

Here's a picture

My questions are:

Which model is this? The reason I am asking is that it appears I have to buy some kind of lens board or mounting plate to mount lenses in what I guess are the cones, and I am not sure what I need to buy online.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Nikon 35mm, Mamiya 645 & RB67, Leica IIIb, other bits and pieces

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like a DIIv. There should be a movable condenser behind the nameplate opening (lift at the red buttons). You move this condenser to change formats. I had one decades ago. My memory is a bit lax, after all that time, but I seem to recall you didn't need different cones. The variable condenser allowed you to work with a flat lensboard. Make sure you get confirmation from others, though. Like I said, it was a long, long time ago... Great enlarger, by the way. Yours looks to be in superb condition.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Eddy! Your description regarding the condenser seems to match what is there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There should also be 2 condensers in the aluminum cylinder underneath. If I recall, there's a piece of corrugated metal which should keep them from touching.
    Still, wait for lensboard confirmation from present users of the DIIv. Even before I changed enlargers, I used a cold light head, so no condensers at all...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    confirming that eddie's memory has served him well. It appears to be an Omega D2v. The placard on the left side of the light house should also say that.

It looks in pretty good condition. Carefully inspect the electrical wiring before plugging it in. Some of these have a fairly nasty socket situation.

You will need:
    1) negative carriers - one for each format size.
    2) an enlarger lens, lens cone and lens mounting disk or plate.

The size of cone depends on lens focal length. Longer focal length needs longer cone. I have specs at home but suffice to say, you will need to know what lens (determined by film format) you want to use before buying cones and mounting plates.

So what size negs are you going to print from?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You seemed to have described it to a T :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a link to KHB's page on discontinued Omega enlargers:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Click on the included "D2" link for lots more info.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Matt -- that site really helps!! :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is an Omega DII-VC. I have two of these.

Omega made DII and D2 and used those names somewhat interchangeably and confusingly. DII has the push-pull head and D2 has a geared crank that will raise and lower the head. Before you attempt to move it, make sure the head is on lowest position and locked down. Little knob at the lowest right corner is the locking knob. You might also want to use some rope and secure it in this position. That little knob was never meant to be THAT secure....

Make sure, the condenser (the silver cylinder) has two BIG lens that fills the circumference of the cylinder. Also make sure there is a lens on a plate inside the door that reads "Variable Condenser". Remove it for transportation. (lift and slide out)

You will need a lens plate (for 50mm to 105mm-ish) or cones for 135mm and longer lens. You also need a negative carrier. You can get those here on APUG classified inexpensively when you hit it just right.

It's a wonderful enlarger. I really like mine.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the cone... or a plate:

This is actually a multi-part assembly. (oh why...?) There is a plate or a cone. Then there is a disk that mounts in a big hole. Onto this disk, lens mounts with use of a retaining ring.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin