Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,614   Online: 1204

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Selecting a glue to stick enlarger bellows to metal base.

I recently had to open bellows on my old Beseler 4x5 just about fullly open for the first time ever in order to do some tiny prints. The bellows came away from the upper metal frame, to which it had been originally glued.

I was planning to use some ordinary supermarket contact adhesive but was wondering if there's something better.

Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Walther's GOO.

Put a dab on each part and smear out and let dry for a few seconds, then contact the two parts and compress for about 1 day. This stuff is quite good. It will damage things if you get it on places you don't want it, due to the difficulty in removing unwanted glue. I use a toothpick to apply it, or a flattened wood spatula.

If you want super hard adhesion and drying a drop of Superglue on one of the parts before joining turns this into an instant set material, but if you miss your "join" you are SOL. You don't get a second chance.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always used Pliobond for replacing bellows on enlargers. Place a thin film on each surface to be joined and let set until tacky then join. I also use appropriate sized plastic spring clamps to assist until fully set.

Added: Make sure to clean both mating surfaces thoroughly before gluing.
    Last edited by Rick A; 08-03-2011 at 06:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Any suggestions?

It's a goner. Luckily I collect things that dont work. Send it to me and get a new one
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Existing Light View Post
    It's a goner. Luckily I collect things that dont work. Send it to me and get a new one
    No, no. He has ulterior motives.

I, on the other hand, am a bona fide altruist. Send it to me instead. I will dispose of it properly for you. Trust me. :evilgrin.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once it is glued back together you can try a shorter focal length lens. At 1:1 a lens has twice the covering power as infinity. A 50mm lens should cover a 6x6cm negative at 1:1 reproduction and thereabouts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used household cement on a Beseler 23C II. It seemed to work well and then, not long after, I got a second, better copy of the enlarger, moved a few parts over, and put it away.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm using E-6000 for projects as varied as bellows repair to fix it jobs like sticking shower door magnet closure back to glass. Comes in clear and assorted colors. Amazing stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    No, no. He has ulterior motives.

I, on the other hand, am a bona fide altruist. Send it to me instead. I will dispose of it properly for you. Trust me. :evilgrin.
    NO NO NO NO!

It has to be disposed of as Toxic waste in a special hermetically sealed container then burried in a salt repository waste facility, which I have access to, as well as obtain the proper government issued permits.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone of these as recomended above, Shoe goo, dabs of contact cement, silicone, plibond, thin foam double sided tape; are all good adhesives, choose one?

BTW 6x6 should be done with a 75mm lens on the enlarger.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I concur with the E-6000 just don't use too much as it creeps a bit while setting. It is rather permanent as I have some things I glued over 10 years ago that never came loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin