Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,713   Online: 984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the two reel tank, like most other folks say. And add a few things to your cart:

D76 (but get the Rodinal too, everyone should have Rodinal on hand).

Get more Tri-X.

Get some FP4.

If you can afford it, get a thermometer with a dial. They are easier to read, and harder to break.

You can mix a very economical drying aid with: One part Isopropyl Alcohol (70%) plus four parts Distilled water. No spots! Use it for about ten films, and discard.

You will also need some containers to store your mixed chemicals. One liter plastic water bottles will do fine if you squeeze out the air after adding the chems, and store them in the dark. They're free after you drink the water. Be sure to label them.

Clips, or clothes pin to hang your film to dry.

Have some fun.

Dean
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's better to get the industrial syle bottles to store chemicals. You can find them at some camera stores, or even at hardware stores (probably for less, but haven't priced them out lately). I was storing exhausted fix in old water bottles, but some of them leaked. I ended up buying a five gallon heavy duty plastic bucket to store it. (We have septic, so I wait for our town's 'toxic waste day" to dispose of old fix.)

Good luck!
    -Suzanne

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    You'll need a syringe to measure Rodinal.
    Those sell for less than $1 in any pharmacy, or free if any of your friends is a doctor. Get a 5ml and a 10ml if you can.
    Yes, I was planning to take the syringe at the pharmacy, or maybe I might have already some somewhere.

Talking about Rodinal: I preferred a liquid developer because I understand it's easier to mix them for a beginner, compared with the powders (I have also read that Rodinal+TriX combo can be a bit grainy for the 35mm, though... we'll see the result).

Would I be able to extract with the syringe just the amount I need to dilute for one/two rolls development, or will I have to prepare some intermediate working solution to store in spare bottles (or other containers which have been suggested)? I couldn't find this apparently basic information on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by dean williams
    Get more Tri-X.

Get some FP4.

If you can afford it, get a thermometer with a dial. They are easier to read, and harder to break.
    I have followed your suggestion and made those Tri-X from 5 to 10

FP4 for the 35mm is out of stock and nowhere to be available any soon at my online store. No dial thermometers either. I wish here in Italy we had the same availability of darkroom equipment and films which I can see in USA and UK for example. Unfortunately shipping costs to here are a bit too high......

Thanks again to everybody.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sterioma:
    Yes, with the Rodinal you just take what you need using the syringe.
    Another liquid to try would be Kodak HC110 very concentrated. I believe I saw a thread somewhere around here about mixing direct from concentrate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You measure Rodinal straight from the bottle with the syringe.

1+25
    1 35mm roll -> 350 ml water + 14ml rodinal
    2 35mm roll -> 650 ml water + 26ml rodinal

1+50
    1 35mm roll -> 350 ml water + 7ml rodinal
    2 35mm roll -> 650 ml water + 13ml rodinal
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Years ago, a friend of mine who worked in a lab gave me a 30ml all-glass syringe. The plunger is ground perfectly to fit the barrel with absolutely no leakage. It's very accurate and easy to read and clean. I worry that one of these days my butterfingers will drop it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sterioma
    I have followed your suggestion and made those Tri-X from 5 to 10
    A good start.

Quote Originally Posted by sterioma
    FP4 for the 35mm is out of stock and nowhere to be available any soon at my online store.
    If you have Orwopan 125 in your area, it is the same as FP4, at least in the US. Other choices for a 100-125 speed film are Fuji Neopan SS and Kodak Plus-X along with Efke and Foma 100 films. Some slower films are very nice in Rodinal (along with Tri-X, but you will get a little more grain). You'll have to try some to see what you like. That's part of the fun!
    [COLOR=Sienna][FONT=Arial]Some days are diamonds. Some days a tree crashes through your roof.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin