Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,280   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm

Done it

Well, it's up and running and I am delighted. Perhaps a second transformer would have been a simpler solution, but I have never incorporated relays in a circuit before, and I am so pleased with the result.
    I appreciate your concerns about my inexperience in electrical/electronic ways but perhaps I undersold myself. I may not be able to design a circuit (I have followed Polyglot in his quest for an F-stop timer with admiration, and know T Kamiya also understands electronics). But I think I have a pretty healthy regard for the dangers of mains electricity especially when next to water, and understand insulation and secure connections. I am a recently retired Consultant Surgeon and wouldn't dream of switching anything on until I have been over it thoroughly with my AVO meter. So I know enough to understand your concern about amateurs dabbling with electricity; I thank you for those concerns and also your input which gave me the confidence to go ahead.
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent! Perhaps you could post a photo of the wiring?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you haven't got one already, a Ground-Fault Circuit Interrupter is a must for using AC near water. They can be had as short extension cords at your local DIY/"home improvement" store. Best, though, is installed as the wall outlet.

Running the whole setup off a transformer gives you line isolation, which is safer, should you ever decide to redo it. (you couldn't get shocked to earth ground, because the transformer isolates your circuits from AC line, which is referenced to earth ground)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second Peter's comment on the GFI. They are 'code' here within 6' of any water source.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All the electrical warnings are good advice. 120VAC here in the states is bad enough, but 230 sounds like dangerous territory indeed. Why not obtain a hobbyist step-down transformer to something like 6 or 12 volts, and obtain a motor to suit? A lot safer all around, and hobby stores (don't know what you call them in the UK) have rafts of wonderful low voltage gadgets, timers, motors, train gear, airplane gear, and so forth just waiting for non-standard applications.
    [FONT="Arial"][/FONT]John Weinland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin