Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Stained developertrays

I've done a search on this and nothing is coming up - I'm a bit nervous about using a strong gritty scouring paste to clean it up, can anyone advise on what to use that won't scratch the surface of the plastic. Many thanks
    Trish

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Patricia, there is actually a quite recent thread on this. I will try to find it in a sec. Definitely don't use an abrasive cleaning method as that will create huge amounts of surface area for gunk to grow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Patricia, that other thread is called "cleaning filthy drums".

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Is it very dirty? I use my fingers with househould detergent, though the trays are never filthy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Once or twice a year I use household bleach to clean my developing trays, as long as the trays are well washed afterwards it has never caused any problems, other than that I never bother,it is harmless staining and I have never seen it as a problem,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every so often I make up a Permanganate/salt bleach, that helps, other times a dichromate/hydrochloric acid bleach. I'll even try household Sodium Hypochlorite bleac.

However stains build up that can't be removed, scouring type cleanes can help very short term but actually make the problem far worse in the long term. The stains get into the plastic, they aren't just on the surface.

A good wash with warm soapy water after every session is the best way to keep rays clean.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In that drum cleaning thread, a poster writes how a tarnish cleaning compound for silverware (cutlery, utensils) was instantly effective for cleaning developer trays.

Personally, I like the silver patina on my developer trays. It's kind of a badge of honour, a mark of experience. It is very stable, so it can't be creating much interference or contamination.

Never apply an abrasive to surfaces that will used for chemicals, especially surfaces that can have different chemicals at different times, and most especially sequentially. I had momentarily thought that fine sand swirled in a glass bottle to scour it might be fine enough, but I was quickly disabused of that notion.
    Last edited by Monito; 08-09-2011 at 05:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I never clean my trays with anything but plain water. I consider anything that builds up on them to be normal.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

no problems with developer stain they should get clean with water

fixer: a friend told me to use corega-tabs (dont know a name in english) this are tabs to clean your 3rd teeth.
    works well for me
    --
    thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin