Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,807   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I'm using one of those faucet mount Pure filter thingy. The water tastes absolutely devoid of any "flavors." I lack any ability to make judgement beyond that. I use water from it to make stock/working solutions.

It is said to remove 99.xxx% of mineral content.
    I have a whole house filter set-up that does the exact same thing your tap filter does, except at every faucet and plumbing fixture that draws cold water. I filter for sediment and taste, two different filters in line on the main feed line to the house.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used RO for 10 years because our water source is well water. I found RO is very economical for houses with well water. The only consumable is water and well water is almost free except the electricity used by the well pump.

Local tap water is usually around 120-180 ppm. The water come out of RO is around 10 ppm. Sometime I feel the RO water is too pure and might not have enough minerals to satisfy human needs.

Home distilled water costs around 10 cents or 20 cents per gallon. This is cheaper than buying from the store.

Both distilled water and RO water are perfect for darkroom uses.

Walnut Grove, MN USA (Laura Ingall Wilder's home)
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I noted only one comment mentioning a de-ionizer. My mother was a tech in a large hospital lab that ran a de-ionizing column 24/7. It requires a modest amount of electricity, and provided enough water for all the labs, and several photographers who filled up every week or so. The one in the lab sat on top of a cabinet, a footprint of only a couple square feet. I don't know if a de-ionizing system would meet your needs, and I don't know what kind of maintenance or expendables it required (I just filled a couple of 1 gallon jugs a couple times a week or so, and there were several photographers that I knew of in the lab taking home water also). It might even be the kind of thing that can be owner built?
    "We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because 'two' is 'one and one'. We forget that we have still to make a study of 'and'."
    -A. S. Eddington

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As far as electric bill..
    Well, there are solar distillers if You want to cut costs. I have friend who made one for his house, since its relatively easy to be made by someone who knows the first things about the process.

@bwfans - the human body gets minerals from the food by hydrolysis, also some of the companies that sells distillers, provide liquid minerals, so You know what You put in the water and how much.
    Some of us drink distilled or RO, their entire life.
    As far as I know distilled water is what is provided in the military ships, submarines etc. etc.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For fussy work like color separation negatives or matching masks where the development characteristic
    must be exact and perfectly repeatable, or making up critical pH dyes, I only used steam-distilled. It genuinely makes a difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not an answer to the question, but, anyhow, I used the collected water from my central AC unit for years until warned about possible fungus growth. * then began boiling it for about five minutes before filtering. I now have a UV unit installed in the AC condensor unit that kills possible fungi. I have no problems; the water is free; and my houseplants love it, too.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin