Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,687   Online: 817

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Compensating Timer does not adjust the lamp's level. The earlier Stabilizer did that, by reducing the level to the level that would be maintained once the lamp was moderately warm. In other words, it cut the "peaks" and the "troughs" to the level just below the troughs. Advantage: stable light. Disadvantage: not much light. Exposures could be long.

The Compensating Timer allows the lamp to fluctuate and by monitoring the lamp intensity via the sensor it adjusts the length of a unit of time to supposedly give constant exposure. I used to use one and the audible ticks that marked the end of each unit of time (that you could regard as nominal "seconds") went from slow to fast during even a fairly short exposure, as a result of the tube heating up.

As an aside: I now use an Aristo VCL4500 2-tube VC cold light head. I have noticed that the lamps are much less subject to rise in output with increasing temperature. Maybe (guess) the newer Aristo tubes that are more suitable for VC filters are also more stable.

I have scans of some Zone VI instructions for the Stabilizer and the original head if anyone is interested.

CORRECTION: The Compensating Timer, although it does not constantly adjust the lamp intensity via feedback from the sensor, does have a Lamp intensity control, from Min to Max or something like that. I would suspect that this is where the flickering comes from. Does it flicker when Lamp is set to Max?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Yes .The lamp flickers when it is set to maximum. I wouldn't mind a copy of those instructions. Only instructions I received when I bought the equipment from an estate sale was the manual for the enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need a stabilizer with your timer. It already will compensate for any light drift by varying the time. Are both the intensity and dry-down dials turned all the way up? Maybe run the dials up and down several times with the timer off. You may have a dirty potentiometer. Does the head flicker if the intensity is adjusted off max? The lamp AC does go through the timer so you can adjust the intensity. So it's possible that something in the timer is causing the flicker especially since the lamp works OK plugged directly to AC. Maybe you can plug a 75 watt incandescent lamp into the timer output and with the cold light plugged directly to AC operate the timer and see if this lamp flickers. You will need to run the cold light because I believe that the timer will not run without an input from the photocell.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have checked with my Zone VI cold light and stabilizer. The light flickers only when set at the very very lowest possible intensity (it is so low as to be impractical), as if one is trying to turn the light off via the dials instead of cutting power altogether. As soon as the intensity dial is moved slightly, the flicker stops. I think there is something wrong with your timer ( tiktok ? ).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin