Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,188   Online: 881

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Flickering Cold Light Head

I have a Beseler 45MXT with a Zone VI cold light head and Zone VI compensating timer. I am in the process of getting my first darkroom set up .When I set up the cold light head and timer and turn on power I get a flickering when the light dial is turned all the way up .Is this normal ?Will it eventually go away ?Or do I need to look for another light source?I have had the enlarger and head and timer in storage for awhile till I could set up a dedicated room.This is also the second cold light head I have .The first did not flicker like this before the bulb broke .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If a fluro tube has not been used for a long time, it will flicker a bit untill it restabilizes. This can take an hour or so. Leave the covers off and let the lamp run on high. Check it every 10-15 minutes to see if the flickering stops.
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does it flicker when plugged directly into the AC with no timer?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just checked it out .The head does not flicker when plugged directly into an AC outlet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Zone VI cold head with Zone VI stabilizer does not flicker at all, and the main power supply to the head goes trough a very old gralab (300?) timer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Does the Zone VI Compensating timer have a voltage stabilizer built in? Or is that a seperate piece of machinery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a different piece of machinery. It adjusts the cold light output to be constant; the timer you use adjusts (compensates) the time for the variability in output. Is your cold light approaching the end of life (10 000 hours) ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No the head was purchased new after the original lamp broke after a fall. The old one didn't do that .And the new one was put into storage shortly after being bought before even being used other than plugging it in to see if the light came on after receiving it .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I say let it run a long time on your timer, maybe it will stabilize.

BTW The preheater has to be pluged in as well you know and warmed up for a few minutes too?

If it isn't flickering when plugged directly into an outlet, it's got to be the timer/stabilizer at fault. Does this head have a light sensor built in like the Zone VI?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The cold light head is a Zone VI and it does have the photocell. When I plugged it into the AC outlet I plugged in both the Lamp and Pre Heater lead. What does this stabilizer look like?Would it be placed between the outlet and the timer or between the timer and the lamp?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin