Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,361   Online: 769

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

YAY! I have an old room - now what?

Hi all, we have just finished decking out our new laundry, which frees up the old laundry, which is/used to be in the middle of our house with only a skylight in the roof. This means this room is now 'out of order' until we can renovate it into a new bigger bathroom - and has nothing in it but an old laundry trough/sink.
    Anyway, I have a room and would love to know how to develop my own films (I think) :-) I'm happy to have them printed at the lab until I'm comfortable developing for now.
    Firstly, why would I want to develop my own film?
    What are the benefits? What does it achieve?
    What do I need to do that?
    Where do I start?
    I suppose - get a book. :-)
    But any answers to my initial questions would be most appreciated.
    Kind regards from Down Under
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Hi all, we have just finished decking out our new laundry, which frees up the old laundry, which is/used to be in the middle of our house with only a skylight in the roof. This means this room is now 'out of order' until we can renovate it into a new bigger bathroom - and has nothing in it but an old laundry trough/sink.
    What size is teh room?

Anyway, I have a room and would love to know how to develop my own films (I think) :-) I'm happy to have them printed at the lab until I'm comfortable developing for now.
    Firstly, why would I want to develop my own film?
    What are the benefits? What does it achieve?
    What do I need to do that?
    Where do I start?
    I suppose - get a book. :-)
    But any answers to my initial questions would be most appreciated.
    Kind regards from Down Under
    Nicole
    1. You want to develop your own film because it's fun, you have CONTROL over what you do and you can experiment.

3. What you need:
    - Developing tank
    - Scisssors
    - Measuring cup
    - Gradute/syringe
    - Chemicals: - Developer
    - Fixer
    - Wetting agent

4. Whewre to start?
    You can look into a couple of online tutorials for pointers on how to start, or you may get a book such as Upton's Photography
    Agfa has a great BW course online:
    http://www.agfa-artcards.com/en/cafe...ont_index.php3

There is one from Kodak... If I could only find it
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    For Black and White, having control over the many variable elements of film development and printing gives you tremendous personal control over the look of your final image.

Oh yeah... it's also satisfying, interesting and fun
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First of all, you just don't need another bathroom. If one is busy, just pound on the door until the current occupant surrenders out of sheer terror, and that's that. Using the old laundry with it's ...trough..(I love that) will make an excellent darkroom, which, when fully equiped, will be utterly indispensible and out of danger from the people who will by then have gotten tired of being terrorized when in the middle of a good read.

The principal advantage is that you get to do your own 'custom' work. No more reliance on whoever is minimally employed in the lab which will increasingly be given over to digipics anyway. Yes, books and apug threads will get you started, but then you'll begin to master your craft and be increasingly able to achieve exactly the results you intended...and not whatever the lab offers.
    John Voss

My Blog

Images
    Good Morning, Nicole,

Why do it yourself? As Flotsam states, CONTROL (and a lot of it) is the primary benefit. It's also likely to be cheaper. Unless the lab you use allows for your input about the processing and is willing to work with your preferences, your own results will almost always be superior.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=titrisol]What size is teh room?

It's 2.6m x 1.9m. The sink is in a corner.

Images
    Where do I start?
    I suppose - get a book.
    First, find an internet forum dedicated to analog photography that is full of experienced, helpful people who will answer any question and offer specific on-going advice as you begin to explore this new undertaking.

It sure would have saved me a lot of trial and error when I was just starting out.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Using the old laundry with it's ...trough..(I love that) will make an excellent darkroom, which, when fully equiped, will be utterly indispensible and out of danger from the people who will by then have gotten tired of being terrorized when in the middle of a good read.

The principal advantage is that you get to do your own 'custom' work. No more reliance on whoever is minimally employed in the lab which will increasingly be given over to digipics anyway. Yes, books and apug threads will get you started, but then you'll begin to master your craft and be increasingly able to achieve exactly the results you intended...and not whatever the lab offers.

Hi Neil, my trusty responder. Thank you very much.

Jovo - Don't you have troughs in NY?

I like the more 'artistic' approach and freedom. Sounds great!
    Kind regards,
    Nicole

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the sink in one corner you can have the enlarger in the opposite side...
    I smell a darkroom!!!

[QUOTE=Nicole McGrade]
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    What size is teh room?

It's 2.6m x 1.9m. The sink is in a corner.
    PS I found the kodak phorogrpahy course online:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...llCourse.shtml

Also check Darkroomsource.net for basic tutorials
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good evening Konical. :-)

Does it take long to process a roll of film?

Hmmm, Neal, now where do you think I could find a forum like that???

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin