Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,063   Online: 832

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need running water for washing prints or film. Stand-and-change washes with some agitation or Ilford washes 5-10-20 inversions work well when properly integrated into a workflow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, I'm nearly ready to attempt my first print, and I think I have all the basics. Over the last few weeks I have purchased:

1 - Bogen enlarger with 35mm carrier
    1 - GraLab Model 171 timer
    2 - Premier 5x7 safelights (I have a 3rd coming from an APUG member now)
    1 - Premier 4-in-1 easel
    1 - Omega tank with two reels
    D76 Developer
    Kodak Rapid Fixer
    Kodak Photo Flo

I'm ordering the following from B&H or Adorama or somewhere this afternoon:

3 - 8x10 developing trays
    1 - Thermometer
    3 - Print tongs
    3 - Datatainer jugs
    1 - Print Squeegee
    1 - Package of Dektol
    1 - Box of Ilford 5x7 paper

As soon as I can find the thread with the link that was given to me, I'm going to order two or three replacement bulbs for the enlarger in case something happens, since it hasn't been used in a while.

Other than what I've mentioned, is there something that I am overlooking that I'll need to make a basic 'commando' go of it?

I'm going to start with 5x7's until I read and research some more, and learn more of what I am doing in detail. Its been a while, so I don't want to waste money on large paper that I'll mess up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see stop bath on your list. Did you decide to go without?

It sounds exciting. Have fun and tell us how it turns out. I have everything I need for a bathroom setup but am waiting until I take lessons this fall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, but I'll put it down.

I figured out a way to set up my dry area in our utility room, and the wet area directly over the bathtub in the bathroom connected to our utility room. Hopefully what I'm envisioning will work.

I'm kinda working off of memory and jumping in head first before a refresher course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're better off using a stop bath, your fixer will live longer for it. Also, unless you have running water, you will also need a tank or extra tray to hold finished prints until you are ready to wash them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't I use the bathtub for that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Can't I use the bathtub for that?
    Yes, but it will be a lot easier to use a tray in the bathtub.

Large cat litter trays work well as washing trays
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Its all here, and it was delivered two days earlier than I was expecting. I bought Arista RC VC 5x7 paper because it was $25 for 100 sheets. I figured I'd ruin the cheap stuff while I relearned the ropes, and buy the good stuff later.

I have a feeling I'm going to be up really late playing tonight....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well here it is. In all of its simple gloriousness! It's ugly, but it works!

For those of you wondering how I wash my prints, I fill up the bathroom sink just to the left of my trays (not pictured.) I plug the drain, and let the water run enough so that it fills and drains through the emergency drain hole at the top. It's working for now. I'm going to look for a proper print washer next.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Darkroom.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Well here it is. In all of its simple gloriousness! It's ugly, but it works!
    That's not ugly - that's beautiful
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin