Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,627   Online: 920

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bathroom necessities....

I'm planning on having my film developed at a local lab that still processes, but in the future I'd like to have a small hobby darkroom to process my own stuff.

The problem is that we rent a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom house and I do not have a place to setup a darkroom. Our bathroom is literally the length of the bathtub, squared.

The good news is that I do have a studio with a larger bathroom. I would have enough room to put a shelf up, with enough room for the three trays, and an enlarger. The problem with the studio bathroom is that there is no bathtub - only a small sink.

When I was in high school, we used a sink, but it was a large basin type sink, not the very small hand sinks found in typical bathrooms.

I've been reviewing the bathroom darkroom sticky thread above, but I'm at a loss for solutions. I'm going to continue researching darkroom setups, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I went to the lumber yard and had them cut a piece of 3/4 inch plywood into three rectangles. One fits over the tub and four 8x10 trays sit a top this makeshift table. I had a table specially made that fits above and around the toilet - the enlarger sits on the table over the toilet. Safe lights screw into the existing bathroom light fixtures. Sink is usually also covered with a piece of plywood and is (ironically) used as the "dry side" work top - for cutting paper and such.

I've also thought of stacking the trays vertically as some others have done. Will need to do this to get up to 16x20 trays....someday (sigh).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My temporary dr is in our full bathroom and has to be back to a bathroom as soon as I'm done with the printing session. The window is blacked out with 4 mil thick black plastic sheeting that is doubled. This is taped with gaffers tape so as to not leave too much goo. The door is blacked out with weather stripping and the insulation for outdoor pipes. The pipe insulation is on the bottom.
    I can develop film in there at noon with the hallway lights on. There is a piece of plywood over the tub and I used ABS pipe for legs to support a plywood table top(I need that because of my back). There is enough room for 3 8X10 and a 11X14 tray. I have a base that fits on the sink for the enlarger and my paper safe sits on a box on the toilet. The only thing permanent is the weather stripping. Every thing else is removed. I can set up and begin printing in 20 min. Breakdown takes about 30 min. as the trays have to be rinsed out.
    My only advantage over you is that I have a half-bath if the family needs to use it.

As to the no sink problem, you do not need running water in a dr. You just need enough room for 3 processing trays and a water tray for holding your prints. When you are done printing, you rinse your trays in the bathtub or shower stall then wash your prints.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have in the past , in one of my many darkroom incarnations, worked out of a 'half bathroom' - sink and toilet only. The water to wash prints was derived from the faucet on the sink, and the wash tray was on a shelf that sat just abouve the toilet. The Kodak tray syphon discharged into the toilet bowl.

The enlarger lived on a 'microwave cart'. Back in the 80's these were easy to find, as most people wanted a microwave oven, but there was no provision for them in their kitchen cabinet layout. It was a counter height cart with a drawer and shelf below that with front doors. The enlarger sat on the top, and the little shelf that would have sat above a typical microwave had baskets screwed on to allow focusser, safelight, etc to be safely stored in there while the cart was wheeled out of the bathroom.

Chems and film processing tanks lived in the bottom. The drawer and counter top enlarger baseboard was the 'dry side'.

The tray ladder that normally in use sat balanced over the toilet would be placed on the enlarger baseboard, with the head raised high, and the whole thing would be rolled into the spare room at the end of the night.

In the morning you would have to unclip the prints from the drying line before you could have a bath or a shower.
    my real name, imagine that.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One option is to use color film drums and a motor base. The foot print is the same as an 8X10 or 11X14 tray, and (for B&W) 3 graduates for developer, stop, and fix, then to the bathtub or shower for wash. I would start with 35mm as you can get a small quaility 35mm enlarger such as a Drust that be taken apart and stored. If you are lucky you may be able to find a portable Federal enlarger that the base is also the storage, just need a new modern lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Home Depot and similar sources sell wire shelving that they will cut to length.

If you put a piece of that over the back half of the tub, you will also be able to access the floor of the tub for washing.

The shelving has a "lip" that is approximately one inch. I use two pieces reversed and stacked on top of each other in order to have a flat surface that the trays can hang over at the edge.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    As to the no sink problem, you do not need running water in a dr. You just need enough room for 3 processing trays and a water tray for holding your prints.

If I DONT need running water then that makes it much more easier for me to set up in our studio bathroom, or one of the empty offices in the studio building.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You do need access to running water somewhere nearby - for many years I worked happily with just a flat shelf plus a wash basin out in an adjacent room about ten feet away from the darkroom door.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You really only need running water for washing film/prints as Matt mentioned above. Both of those procedures can be done in the light so you could print in another space that has more room possibly placing the enlarger on a sturdy support and the trays on a decent size folding table that can be moved when not in use.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you stick to RC materials you could use a hand-held spray attachment at the kitchen sink for washing prints. Until recently I carried about 6 gallons of water from the house to the darkroom (and the reverse for the waste) for a session. Running water is definitely nice, but not critical. I have used a darkroom tent in a field several times.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin