Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 642

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's a good 39mm thread 70mm enlarger lens?

My durst F60 came with only a 50mm lens but I plan to do 6x6 negatives. I don't need the best and want to avoid junk. What's a good lens to fit a 39mm mount?

Thanks to you all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although it is not a 70mm lens, I'm using a Schneider 80mm f/4 Componon-S which serves me well for all my medium format negatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I second the Componon-s, but El-Nikkors are quite good too. Oh, and Rodenstock lenses, especially the APO are quite amazing.

There's lots of good choices, thankfully.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Any good 75 or 80mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    75mm El-Nikkors are very good performers and reasonably priced as they are 4 element designs. But as used enlarging lenses sell for very little these days you can probably find plenty of 80mm 6-element El-Nikkors, Rodenstock Rodagons or Schneider Companons that are real bargains. Don't pass up el-Rokkor (Minolta), Computar or Fujinon enlarging lenses, they are often the equal of the big-3. The APO-Nikkors are the highest performing lenses with stratospheric prices to match, APO-Rodagons are less pricey but also spectacular performers.

Rodenstock and Schneider budget lenses usually have names ending in -or or -ar and have a variable reputation. Omega and Beseler private labeled Rodenstock and Schneider lenses but you need to have a magic decoder ring to figure out which are the good ones and which were the low-cost 'kit' lenses: "Omegar", "Omegaron", "Beslar" etc..

Some of the Meopta lenses were good - I think the Meogons, somebody will correct me, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-16-2011 at 05:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Vivitar VHE and Minolta CE lenses are very good and can be had very cheaply when they show up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    el-Rokkor (Minolta)
    As Mwdake said -- that should be CE Rokkor.

Durst also private labeled some very good lenses. But they also private labeled some perfectly horrid Isco lenses - seek advice before buying Durst lenses.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrclSchprs View Post
    Although it is not a 70mm lens, I'm using a Schneider 80mm f/4 Componon-S which serves me well for all my medium format negatives.
    I'm using one of these too. The backlit aperture display and the open/close lever behind the aperture dial is a nice bonus. El-Nikkors are good too, but I like the combination of quality and features on the componon-s mentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is indeed a good time to buy enlarger lenses. Within the last 9 months I picked up a new old stock 50 mm f2.8 Schneider Componon S - 6 elements I think - for about $85, a 80mm Componon and a 105 mm Fujinon each for around $50. The 50mm origininally sold for about $300, according to the price tag still on the box!

Don't forget that your Durst may have lens boards available for other size mounts. For my Besler 23C I had to turn up additional lens boards for the 50mm which had a different thread than the other boards.

Now if only paper and film were as inexpensive and available as enlargers....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Mwdake said -- that should be CE Rokkor
    Yes, I think that's what I meant to say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin