Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,439   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Provided parts aren't SMD, I'm very interested. I can possibly assist in this project as well.

I have C programming and SBC design and construction experience. (and so as PCB)
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    That isn't free! Must be new math or did I miss something here?

Do you also give free HD for life for only $100/month?
    Just in case you weren't being sarcastic, this is straight from Wikipedia:
    gratis versus libre is the distinction between two meanings of the English adjective "free"; namely, "for zero price" (gratis) and "with few or no restrictions" (libre).

The proposed project adheres to the libre definition in that its construction is "open source" in a way and is not going to be proprietary. At least that's my understanding.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Im interested, but is there anything else to purchase once you parts are supplied.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some clarifications... no SMD parts as I don't have the equipment for that.

You would need to purchase:
    - an Arduino (e.g. Duemilanove, $20)
    - a red LCD & rubylith ($10)
    - a keypad ($3)
    - an opto-coupled solid-state mains relay (?)
    - power supply parts and case ($20-$100 depending on how fancy you want to be)
    - circuit board ($3 veroboard, $20? for custom)
    - assorted ribbon cable, connectors, pin headers, screws, etc ($10-20)
    - hopefully buy NOTHING from me (I can't be bothered posting you stuff)

You'll also need a PC or Mac, soldering iron and the usual fabrication tools. No, I won't sell you a kit or completed version; there's no value to be added there and if you're in the US, you can buy the bits cheaper than I can. There is practically nothing required in the box other than the micro and the user interface; no other logic is required.

If you wanted to be even cheaper and have the tools+skills, you could skip the Arduino and use a straight ATmega328 in a veroboard, though that would lose the USB connection for transferring programs to a computer.

Randian & free-market trolls need not apply.
    Last edited by polyglot; 08-19-2011 at 11:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds really interesting.

So you'd supply the schematic and the software? I guess rest can be purchased from places like www.sparkfun.com if you are in US.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    That isn't free! Must be new math or did I miss something here?
    Yes. You missed something. He wrote "Free. That's libre not gratis."

The root "libre" is the same root as for "liberty", a concept dear to the hearts of Americans, or so we are told. In this context that means free from copyright or trademark or patent restrictions.

"gratis" would mean "no cost". Same root as for "gratuity" = money for a tip, given freely, not part of the bill.

"paul ron", ... hmm, ... Ron Paul the libertarian? Libertarians would be expected to know the most about the distinction, one would hope.
    Last edited by Monito; 08-20-2011 at 07:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    - an opto-coupled solid-state mains relay (?)
    One option would be the Powerswitchtail in some areas of the world.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/268

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some clarifications...
    Thanks.

What powers the timer? A battery? Does it have to be connected to a PC to reprogram it everytime the power gets turned off?

[on edit:] Oh, I see, power supply & case $20 to $100 "depending on how fancy you want to be." Ok, fair enough. Thanks.
    Last edited by Monito; 08-20-2011 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Solved.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    also interested, eagerly awaiting further details. I'd also be in for the PCB if you go that far.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some clarifications ...

[my comments in [] brackets - Nicholas Lindan/Darkroom Automation]

- an Arduino (e.g. Duemilanove, $20)
    - a red LCD & rubylith ($10 - [closer to $20 and you will need the connector])
    - a keypad ($3 [may as well get a very good one - nothing worse than bad keyswitches, figure $20])
    - an opto-coupled solid-state mains relay (? [suggest mechanical relay - they don't fail when the lamp blows - $3-4])
    - power supply parts and case ($20-$100 depending on how fancy you want to be [nice wooden case, steel front panel, lexan overlay - $50 if you buy several hundred at a time; you can use a wall-wart from the junk-box for a power supply])
    - circuit board ($3 veroboard, $20? for custom)
    - assorted ribbon cable, connectors, pin headers, screws, etc ($10-20 [this adds up fast: AC outlets, fuseholder, line cord, on-off switch, spacers -- figure $30 minimum])
    - hopefully buy NOTHING from me (I can't be bothered posting you stuff) [Ooops, if everybody has to buy their own PCB's they can get expensive in onesies]
    Well, that adds up to $164, less if you have a well supplied junque box to raid for parts. Which may explain why the Darkroom Automation timer costs $259 - which has all new parts [and advertising cost, tooling charges, instruction manual printing costs, labor costs, a cut for DigitalTruth] and has a close to negative profit margin.

DIY makes sense for things are are labor intensive and don't have much tooling/purchase parts cost: painting the house, mowing the lawn, cooking dinner. It also makes sense if it is a labor of love: building your own drag-race car or wet-plate camera.

However, where most of the cost is in the parts, and tooling is extensive [and where DIY involves a lot of time with a drill and file], it is hard to justify a DIY solution.

Darkroom Automation is a labor of love ... or so I have to keep telling myself.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-20-2011 at 02:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin